Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Followup to Illinois & Midland Question

Date: 02/01/06 06:37
Followup to Illinois & Midland Question
Author: kevink

Since the original thread has fallen off the first page (See: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,1089868 ), I thought a new post was in order.

I queried the IlliniRail list and received word that while the I&M does have trackage rights on the UP between Sommer (near Pekin, IL) and Barr (northwest of Springfield, IL), the only known use of these rights was circa 2000-2001. The Powerton road switcher used to work from Pwerton to Sommer to interchange carload freight with the UP. It does not appear that this is still the case.

On a brighter note, I was told that the coal trains to the Kincaid power plant south of Springfield still operate over the I&M between Powerton and Kincaid (using trackage rights on the CN/IC south of Springfield to Cimic where they use the I&M to finish the trip to the power plant.

Date: 02/01/06 19:10
Re: Followup to Illinois & Midland Question
Author: NYCSTL8

Is the line over Petersburg Hill that used to be tripled with 2-10-2's and doubled with diesels on loaded coal drags still in use?

Date: 02/01/06 20:40
Author: MEKoch

Yes, Petersburg hill is in use daily.

Date: 02/02/06 05:24
Author: NYCSTL8

Thanks. How do operations over the Hill today compare to those of the steam and early diesel eras? Do they still come thru Petersburg at "a fearsome rate of speed" (DPM) to gain enuf momentum to top the grade, or is it pretty mundane now? Wish C&IM had saved one of those handsome Lima 2-10-2's that used to storm the hill. Thanks, again.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds