Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Rathole Line Info

Date: 06/20/06 18:10
Rathole Line Info
Author: bnsf

Looks like I might have a chance to go to the Rathole Line in a few weeks. I will be coming from Asheville/Knoxville area. Whats a good place to start and finish? What roads follow the route. I will have a Delorme Atlas with me...

What type of freight should I expect...Triple Crown? or mostly manifest?

Grady McKinley

Date: 06/20/06 18:19
Re: Rathole Line Info
Author: hoydie17

Grady,

In all honesty you'll get more concise info by going to JREB. That's not to say there aren't people here that don't know the turf, but JREB is dedicated to NS, especially in the CNO&TP.

Sean

http://jreb.org/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php

Date: 06/22/06 19:20
Author: Baxtersta

Essentially US 27 from near Robbins, Tn to north of Somerset, KY. Your atlas will get you where you need to go.
Expect Triple Crowns, mechandise, automotive and a few stacks. No coal but maybe some grain.
Be safe, expect to be hot and humid so carry plenty to drink.

Date: 06/23/06 11:57
Author: toledopatch

US-27 will get you as far as Kings Mountain, Ky. From there, you'd need to take local roads to stay close to the tracks until you get to US-127 near Bowen. Note, though, that sideroads off US-27 are the way to get to many of the most photogenic locations on the Rathole, except for the bridge at Burnside, which you can see right from the main highway and photograph in the mid-to-late afternoon from an overlook for which you park off the edge of the road. Just don't step over the cliff!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0392 seconds