Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Don Wood

Date: 06/30/06 13:50
Don Wood
Author: m1bprr

I have just learned that Don Wood noted PRR. photographer has passed away this morning at 5:30 am. Prostrate cancer. Another rail great lost.

Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 06/30/06 15:07
Re: Don Wood
Author: anthracite

This is terrible news.

God bless you, Don, and thank you for sharing your amazing photographs of the PRR.

Date: 06/30/06 20:10
Author: K3HX

We are all diminished by this loss.

Tim Colbert K3HX

Date: 07/01/06 07:20
Author: CSXvet

A high point of my life was a trip through southern Ontario about 1958 with Don Wood and John Rehor. Rehor had planned the itinerary precisely to hit practically every CN or CP branch line freight and various scheduled passenger trains within our chosen radius, so we were constantly moving. No rest at night either, since both guys toted 4x5 Graphics that required hand-loading of enough cut film for the next day...then afterward out for night shots. Both were thorough professionals and turned in first-class work. What an exhausting pleasure to work with them, and sad to know that they're both now gone.

Date: 07/01/06 07:43

My first trip in the company of Don Wood, and Bud Rothaar was in 1955 to Camden, NJ. to see PRSL Steam! Both PRR. and RDG. I was 15 at the time. Wow! Like a kid in a candy store.

Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 07/01/06 09:01
Author: NYCSTL8

Are you the one in the famous pic of a lad "oiling around" on PRR K4 no. 612? I recall that photo was taken in Jersey around the time you mention, and I think it was a Don Wood photo.

Date: 07/01/06 09:40

No that wasn't me, it was Rich Smith, a buddie. We were at South Amboy, Don came along as set up the shot.

In the attached photo taken at Sunbury, PA. Back in 1955 by Rich Smith, left to right, Yours truly, and the late Bud Rothaar watching the firemen clean his fire.

Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 07/01/06 13:50

Thanks, m1b. Have long wondered why the names of folks in r.r. photos are seldom mentioned. For those who have never seen the photo, it depicts a boy, apparently in his early teens, clad in proper r.r. working man's attire, ministering to engine 612 with a long-spouted oil can. The photo caption - was this in RAILROAD Magazine? - says that the lad considers 612 to be HIS engine, and that he knows what to oil and what not to oil. Probably my favorite Don Wood photo. R.I.P., Don. You did yourself proud.

Date: 07/01/06 23:14
Author: cr6972

another flash bulb has gone dim, but the memories will always be bright. thanks don.

Date: 07/02/06 06:12
Author: RunningMan

Interestly enough, Don Wood was seen at trackside at Red Bank on the 15th watching the 5709 and the APTA/Railway Age excursion.

At least he departed with a final Tuscan image

Date: 07/02/06 16:30

Maybe Don and Bill Basie will get together to talk trains and music...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0473 seconds