Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS/Southern Track Panel Car

Date: 08/10/06 22:19
NS/Southern Track Panel Car
Author: tomd

I am looking for more information and photos of these cars. Southern built these cars in their Coster shops in Spartanburg to carry track panels.

There are two types of these cars

Lead 991126 – 991127
The lead cars are used to lower the track panels. A photo of one is at the bottom right.

Drone 991101 - 991125
The drone car carry the track panels, and pass them to the lead car to be placed on the ground.

From the September 1966 Ties Magazine

Completed track panels move three at a time on powered roller chains into a line of special cars. Each car holds nine to ten panels. Panels already loaded are hydraulically lifted to allow the next set of panels to be moved in underneath. When the end car is loaded, power roller chains in the floor of the car can be activated to move the entire load of panels into the next car. These special cars are also equipped with devices to lower the track panels into place on the ground at the installation site.

I am looking for photos of the lead cars, and end shots of both types of cars.

The following photos are all from Ties Magazine.

Thanks

Tom

Date: 08/11/06 07:30
Re: NS/Southern Track Panel Car
Author: Jollymon

tomd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am looking for more information and photos of
> these cars. Southern built these cars in their
> Coster shops in Spartanburg to carry track
> panels.
>
Coster Shop? Not to pick nits but Coster was in Knoxville, TN.

FYI....
Jollymon

Date: 08/11/06 11:24
Author: RFandPFan

Thanks for posting this. A while back, I posted some photos of these cars and no one knew what they were.

Date: 08/11/06 12:37
Author: Robbman

Probably becuase those of us that knew didn't feel like paying a yearly subscription to be able to see the photos and answer...

Date: 08/11/06 18:17
Author: Clinchfield3000

I don`t know if they`re still there but there was a few of those cars in the Old Yard at Spencer NC.

Later
Michael Ridenhour
WSS/HPT&D Engineer

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0362 seconds