Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > "Speed" entry from Rail Gang days

Date: 10/15/06 17:45
"Speed" entry from Rail Gang days
Author: zars

Date: Wednesday, April 17th, 1985

I worked as a laborer and equipment operator on the C&O Northern Region Rail Gang between 1982 and 1987.

We had finished laying rail on the C&O Mountain Sub at about 1230 that day to clear up in anticipation of the passage of both the eastbound and westbound Amtrak Cardinal. Both trains were running late, so most of us were driving anchor spikes by hand to keep us busy the rest of the afternoon. The first train to pass was the eastbound Cardinal, which had a Chessie System officials car on the rear. I had just climbed down out of the toilet/shower car (immediately to the right of the officials car) and was out getting something from my truck parked next to the tracks. I was standing by it when I took this snapshot. Normally, there was enough clearance for metal steps to be hung from several cars to make entry and exit from the cars more convenient, but they had been removed in anticipation of this train's passage.

After I had returned to my room on camp car C&O 911311, four cars east of C&O 911308, the word went out that the westbound Cardinal was coming, and she was flying down the hill. I snapped the second image, my entry in the "Speed" contest, when that train blew by the camp cars between my car and the next car. I am glad the metal steps weren't there; as fast as that train was going would have ripped them off.

Zars

Date: 10/16/06 19:57
Re: "Speed" entry from Rail Gang days
Author: mully

Man that brings back memories, I live in Staunton and I remember seeing that car a few times. Do you know who was on it?

Gary

Date: 10/17/06 16:08
Re: "Speed" entry from Rail Gang days
Author: zars

No, I never heard who was on the train; and probably would not remember if I did. After all, that was 21 years ago, so hard to believe!

I went back to Ohio State; got my degree, and have had a number of other jobs since then. Fortunately, I took a lot of snapshots while I worked on the gang, starting in 1983, and kept a journal after 1985.

What was really ironic is that just after I graduated; I got called to come back to the gang. I didn't go back, but thinking about it now, I should have; if only to help pay off the student loans a little earlier.

ZARS

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds