Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Harrisburg Chapter NRHS Excursion to Renovo w/ PRR E-8s

Date: 10/15/06 18:42
Harrisburg Chapter NRHS Excursion to Renovo w/ PRR E-8s
Author: RuleG

One of the most scenic railroad routes in the east has the section of the former PRR Buffalo Line west of Lock Haven, PA which I first encountered in the late 1990s while driving on Route 120 between Emporium and Lock Haven. Thus, during the summer, when the Harrisburg Chapter NRHS announced on its website that it would be offering the Flaming Foliage Express on October 14 on this line I jumped at the chance.

The trip sold out within three weeks. There were about 650 riders. As noted and illustrated in a previous post, the train consisted of two E-8s painted and detailed for PRR, Amfleet cars and four private cars, three of which were provided by Juniata Terminal and the fourth being the Kitchi Gammi Club.

This trip was a treat for any Pennsy fan with the E-8s, PRR stations in Harrisburg, Sunbury and Northumberland and the coal tipple in Lock Haven. There were still plenty of position lights along the line.

Even before we got to Lock Haven, there was plenty of pretty scenery along the Susquehanna River and the rolling hills of central PA. But the scenic highlight was the section west of Lock Haven. We opted to stay on the train to ride the ten additional miles to Keating where the train was turned. When we returned to Renovo we alighted and enjoyed lunch at a fire hall.

This was a nicely run and organized trip. The train left Harrisburg on time and ran without any delays to Renovo. On the return trip, it had to stop 3 times and we arrived back to Harrisburg only 1/2 hour late.

The car hosts and other NRHS chapter volunteers were all very friendly.

This was my girlfriend's first trip on a special train excursion and she had a great time, too. She was amused by all of the photographers chasing the train.

Thanks to the Harrisburg Chapter NRHS for all of its hard work in arranging this trip.

Dave

Date: 10/15/06 22:01
Re: Harrisburg Chapter NRHS Excursion to Renovo w/ PRR
Author: poffcapt

No pics?

Date: 10/16/06 02:23
Author: chuchubob

poffcapt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No pics?

Some pix are here:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,1260235

Date: 10/16/06 03:59
Author: m1bprr

Harrisburg at 7am.

Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 10/16/06 05:26
Author: prropcrew

I was onboard and shot approximately 200 pictures with my didgital. I've slowly started to re-size them for posting. I rode first-class in the accomidations of Juniata Terminal's Parlor-Lounge "Warrior Ridge", but spent about 1/3 of the trip in the dutch doors of the Little Juniata Rapids, and the Kitchi Gammi Club. Words can't desrcibe how great this trip was. As I said, i'll post some pictures later, but I did manage to squeeze off some shots of some people fanning, including Ed K.

Reagrds,
John

Date: 10/16/06 17:50
Author: RuleG

poffcapt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No pics?

I do not yet have a digital camera. But even if I did have photos to post immediately, they would have not been any different or better than those posted by chuchubob. There were no photo run-bys.

With all of the fans chasing the train, I thought that one or more of them would have been TO members who would have posted their photos.

If you want to get an idea of what the trip was like, the NRHS has photos from its similar 2003 excursion at the following website.

http://nrhs-hbg.pennsyrr.com/Events/

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1292 seconds