Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Selma, N.C. question

Date: 04/30/07 03:46
Selma, N.C. question
Author: mikecollins

Anybody know why Norfolk Southern redid (and expanded) its yard just east of the CSX diamond in Selma, North Carolina? It extends almost to the berg of Pine Level. Doesn't look like the work has been finished for too long.

I was in the area Sunday and visited briefly--photographed there fairly often 15-plus years ago. At the time it appeared those tracks occasionally were used to hold/stage unit coal trains for a power plant west of Goldsboro.

By the way, the Selma depot looks great. It's been restored since my last visit. Great to see the station's tower windows again...they were covered with plywood for many years.

--Mike

Date: 04/30/07 13:48
Re: Selma, N.C. question
Author: CSX1346

They are running all of the eastbound trains through this line to New Bern then Choco, Wilson and/or Morehead City. The main line at Selma was curved in the yard and they straighten it and I think added more yard track. In addition they are in the process of adding a 2 mile pass track between Garner and Clayton. They also added signals from Garner to I think as far as Goldsboro, no longer dark territory.

I was also told that a short line railroad has taken lease of the NS tracks from Raleigh to Wilson.

Maybe someone else has more to add.

Date: 04/30/07 19:27
Author: br549

CSX1346 Wrote:
>
> I was also told that a short line railroad has
> taken lease of the NS tracks from Raleigh to
> Wilson.

The lease actually extends from Raleigh all the way to Plymouth via Wilson, Greenville, and Chocowinity.

Date: 05/02/07 07:55
Author: ctillnc

Improvements on the west side of the A-line have been going on for years, mainly to improve speeds for Amtrak 79/80/91/92. To the east of the Selma station, there are several motivations for improvements... handling the aforementioned trains that came off the Raleigh-Wilson line, increasing rail access to the state port at Morehead City, and anticipating Raleigh-Wilmington passenger train service via Goldsboro. On the last point, no decision has yey been made on the Goldsboro route versus the Fayetteville route.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0346 seconds