Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Need Cobelskill NY info by 8 a.m. Thursday please

Date: 08/08/07 18:15
Need Cobelskill NY info by 8 a.m. Thursday please
Author: RRmemories

Got a chance an unexpected fast run with Travis and his mom to Cobelskill NY. Leaving tomorrow at 8 a.m. We will connect onto NY 17 east off of PA 220 north (from Towanda, PA) Sharing anything along the way will be appreciated. Staying at Cobelskill over night. Any trains scheduled? Any old RR things around like abandoned lines. Using SPV's RR Atlas for New York. Will return same route on Friday but his mom is going to go at a slow pace so we can take pictures. Thanks dudes. Aaron '07

Date: 08/08/07 18:43
Re: Need Cobelskill NY info by 8 a.m. Thursday please
Author: Lackawanna484

Does anybody know the current status of Towanda-Monroeton Shippers railroad, and where the loco is?

You'll pass near the old Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley track, are those GG-1 locomotives still stored at the CCV + D&H interchange?

I recall a really good bbq place just off I-88 along the D&H. Maybe this is it? Brooks BBQ is world famous at 5560 Satte Hwy. 7, Oneonta. Get back on I-88 to exit #16. Take a left and a left.

Date: 08/08/07 18:44
Author: cinder

Overhead foot bridge in Cobelskill next to McDonalds....Tunnel at Belden Hill (closer to Binghamton)....Fantastic ribs just east of Oneonta (Brooks House of Barbecue)

Date: 08/08/07 18:56
Author: kgmontreal

Majority of CP/D&H freight action is daylight between Oneonta and Delanson. Sit tight and the trains will come to you

KG

Date: 08/08/07 20:15
Re: Need Cobleskill NY info by 8 a.m. Thursday please
Author: toledopatch

Among the trains you should see is CP#168, the NS-powered trailer train, out of Binghamton in the morning. Its counterpart, CP#169 from Albany, comes west in the afternoon.

The former D&H between Cobleskill and Binghamton has plenty of pleasant scenery and lots of good photo angles, but if CP has kept the track speeds up the way they were the last time I was there, you'll find yourself hopping onto I-88 to keep up. Don't miss the old D&H-style signal masts at Nineveh Junction, Afton, and East Worcester -- assuming those relics still stand....

When you're marking your pictures, though, spell it Cobleskill. (And that highway up from Towanda is US-220, not Pa-220.)

Date: 08/09/07 04:58

Thanks to all. Hope I can find those GG-1's. Got it..U.S. 220 and Cobleskill. Hope I can find the old signals. I like them more than the trains sometimes. Travis loves ribs. I haven't had those yet. Joe Sadruski (spelling?) is a great guy. Oh, thanks guys, out the door.
Pray for clear weather. I'll share the photos Saturday. Aaron '07

Date: 08/09/07 06:05
Author: BrianJennison

The Gs are still there, but they are rusted junk. Not much to look at.
The one at Harrisburg is much nicer. :-)

Date: 08/11/07 11:28

Hi everyone.

Lackawana484, I took a photo in Monroeton, but didn't see the old LV switcher. Maybe it was at the other end of the line which we had to pass by.

Going to Cobleskill we saw a west bound train with two light blue locomotives with kind of a squared off lightning stripe of white. Couldn't see the road name as they were far off.

There were a lot more trains through Cobleskill than I ever expected. (This is still the Southern Tier line, right?) Travis, his mom and I stayed at Best Western and had a great view of the trains. Recommend the motel way up on top of the hill behind BK.

From about noon Thursday to noon Friday we saw approximately 20-25 trains which led us to believe something might have happened somewhere else. West bounders were stopping under the overhead walkway and then proceeding. One train following slower one after another. Lot's of manifest trains that I like the best.

Saw the GG-1's, Brian, rust and all. Never saw a real GG-1 in Amtrak livery. A house nearby had an old coach attached to it. The remains of the junction trackage still there.

Toledopatch, I saw at least one set of the D&H signals going home (west) on I-88. Double track there, plus a long string of MOW equipment on a siding. Six signal lamps and all in the typical RR color...red. Do you know the spot I speak of?

The overhead walkway was a great place to see the trains except it shook like it was going to collapse when trains went under. (Maybe I'm still recovering from I-35 Ha.) Cinders, McTravis was glad the fastfood was near by.

KG you sure were right about the trains coming to us! The annual fair was in town and glad we could walk to the bridge. The town was busy like the trains were!

What does the "R" and the "G" signs mean on reverse sides of the signal at Central Bridge? Two trains (east) went through and we were only there a 15 minutes at the most. Liked the dilapidated freight station and glad the big Mill had 4 covered hoppers. A bright aqua blue one was directly overhead on the bridge.

Of course we saw a NS lead train. Does this kind of confirm something had gone wrong elsewhere (but right for us).

We weren't alone on the bridge! The Fair brought it's share of RR buffs. Friday there was a really cold rain. Wondered what winters were like there?

Travis and I both say thank you all for the information especially so quickly at the last minute. I'll try to upload the photos. Aaron '07

Date: 08/11/07 18:01
Author: Lackawanna484

Cobleskill is on the D&H line from Binghamton to Albany area (the Albany & Susquehanna was the original name). In this part of the state, the Erie / NS Southern tier comes up thru Deposit, Susquehanna, Binghamton, crosses the D&H, then heads west toward Owego, Elmira, etc.

It sounds like you had a good trip. Winter is this part of the country has a lot of snow, a lot of freezing rain, and a lot of gloomy overcast skies.

Paul

Date: 08/11/07 18:04

Seems like NS is in Cobleskill too. Westbound 6:58. Aaron '07

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0528 seconds