Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Manville Plant at back of NS B-Line closing

Date: 09/23/07 18:22
Manville Plant at back of NS B-Line closing
Author: holiwood

Johns Manville plant at the backend of NS B-Line, MP B77, will close Nov 6. Production for 2 more weeks, then they will work on cleaning up.
JM plant is only customer west of Strasburg, one or 2 nights a week P96 would bring several covered hoppers of perlite for them.
I guess this will be "Last train to Woodstock" soon.

Holiwood
NS B-Line MP74

Date: 09/23/07 19:18
Re: Manville Plant at back of NS B-Line closing
Author: SpeederDriver

I remember sitting in class and watching GP7s (maybe they were 9s) in Crescent paint going through there.

That you, Steve?

Date: 09/23/07 20:23

That's me. I'll see you in a couple of weeks. I didn't pay attention in classes at Woodstock Elementary or Central or meetings at MMA when they went by.
holiwood

Date: 09/24/07 11:32
Author: P

Is this a dead end line? If so, how much trackage will cease to see service?

Date: 09/24/07 11:56
Author: 5-String

I believe the line is served from the south to Mt Jackson and that the tracks are still in place between Mt Jackson and Edinburg? Will be interesting to see what happens...

Date: 09/24/07 12:08
Author: NS212

I heard that last week Manville got its last 6 loads. Also heard some of the employees came out to ask why they were setting off more cars because they weren't supposed to get anymore. So that may have been the last run to Woodstock :/..also heard a rumor that P96's work in Strasburg may be given to Front Royal Shifter V88, but I really don't see that happening because the crew isn't qualified, and the VA Division would have to give the piedmont some of their work to replace P96. Lots of talk between the crews about what is going to happen..

Date: 09/24/07 18:08
Re: Manville has 8 cars

Took about 800 lbs. of scrap cardboard and paper to Manville today, I usually send somebody, but I wanted to look around. 6 covered hoppers setting on plant track, 1 at unloading site with trackmobile and 1 behind plant. They are still taking paper scrap till Friday. There is the usual amount of scrap paper there. They are going to run for about 10 days, starting tomorrow. Production was shut down today.
I was being nosey, so I nicely asked one of the men in the office if they would consider donating anything to schools after they shut down. He said they were not going to do anything to preclude restarting.
I think they will need a few more cars of perlite. I am not sure of mix.
I will take another load of paper later in the week, just to watch them run.
holiwood
NS B-Line MP 74

Date: 09/25/07 20:02
P96 got track to B77 tonight

Heard P96 get track to B77 tonight, be way too late for me when he gets here. Has meet at Riverton Jct with 213.
holiwood
NS B-Line MP74

Date: 09/25/07 23:32
Re: P96 got track to B77 tonight
Author: NS212

Heard him at the Junction heading west too, I don't think he went as far as the 77, he was only an hour and a half or so coming back east to Riverton. Not sure why the dispatcher gave 213 a meet order with them at Riverton either, since 213 wouldn't be able to see his train to begin with. He later called 213 back up and voided his authority and gave him a new one without the meet order..but that's off topic..lol. Did anybody happen to see whether he went as far as the 77 tonight or not?

Date: 09/26/07 19:37
Re: P96 got track to B77 tonight, again

just heard him get track to B77 again tonight. did not come all the way last night.
holiwood
NS B-Line MP74

Date: 09/27/07 20:19
Re: P96 got track to B77 tonight, again

3rd night in a row P96 has gotten track to B77 but he did not come all the way last 2 nights. JM is running this week and next week.
Usualy only gets track to B64 if only working Strasburg.
holiwood
NS B-Line MP74

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2136 seconds