Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Fostoria traffic levels

Date: 10/10/07 06:24
Fostoria traffic levels
Author: NS2649

I heard recently that there's actually been fewer trains through Fostoria recently, how many fewer movements are there through Fostoria? I might try and go back at some point but unsure of when it'll be but was just curious how many fewer trains run through if this rumor is true. Thanks

Date: 10/10/07 07:01
Re: Fostoria traffic levels
Author: GrampaFrosty

For the month of September, on the B&O the ATCS recorded 827 WB trains and 688 EB trains between Fostoria and Deshler. It is possible that a train like Y101/Y150 (the yard job at Defiance that does go to North Baltimore on occasion) could be counted twice or even 4 times, but that is rare. The counting is done from data from Hoytville. There were also power and internet interruptions that I am aware of that could have caused us to missed a few. That's 50.5 trains/day.

Date: 10/10/07 08:48
Re: Fostoria traffic levels
Author: toledopatch

GrampaFrosty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For the month of September, on the B&O the ATCS
> recorded 827 WB trains and 688 EB trains between
> Fostoria and Deshler. It is possible that a train
> like Y101/Y150 (the yard job at Defiance that does
> go to North Baltimore on occasion) could be
> counted twice or even 4 times, but that is rare.
> The counting is done from data from Hoytville.
> There were also power and internet interruptions
> that I am aware of that could have caused us to
> missed a few. That's 50.5 trains/day.

I would also note that CSX trackwork in Fostoria during September may have caused some trains to rerouted or combined/abolished. Certain Lima/Toledo or Chicago/Toledo trains using the Toledo Sub north of Deshler instead of operating via Fostoria also may account for some of the disparity between westbounds and eastbounds.

There would have to be a major reduction in traffic through Fostoria before it became significant for railfanning purposes.

Date: 10/10/07 10:48
EB vs. WB

Don't forget there are a few Q200 series from Toledo to Deshler via Fostoria that don't have a direct counterpart. I'm thinking of Q241, Q243 and Q245, as I haven't seen a Q242 in a good while. They used to run almost daily. I think Q231 and Q272 are counterparts, correct? Come to think of it, I haven't seen any of these, as they tend to run after my bed time or while at work.

Date: 10/10/07 16:16
Re: EB vs. WB
Author: dti407

Q241/242 and Q272 normally run via Fostoria. Q231 and Q245 usually run straight south via Bates. When Q243 runs (it's as required now and I did not see or hear it last night) it usually runs via Fostoria. I just looked at the Bullsheet and 242 is not listed. I did see a Q21007 (which used to run to Walbridge, but according to the Bullsheet it terminates at Louisville) turn east at Deshler last night heading for Walbridge.

These are all usually night trains now. If Q272 is making good time, you may see it in the early evening.

GrampaFrosty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't forget there are a few Q200 series from
> Toledo to Deshler via Fostoria that don't have a
> direct counterpart. I'm thinking of Q241, Q243
> and Q245, as I haven't seen a Q242 in a good
> while. They used to run almost daily. I think
> Q231 and Q272 are counterparts, correct? Come to
> think of it, I haven't seen any of these, as they
> tend to run after my bed time or while at work.

Date: 10/11/07 12:38
Deshler train count for Sept.

Trains on the Toledo Sub N/S across the diamonds, 151;
NW transfer, 111;
SW transfer, 97;
SE transfer, 262;
Main #1 E/W through town, 753;
Main #2 E/W through town, 606.

1980 trains or exactly 66/day.

As stated earlier there were interruptions to the count so it may be a few short. Also D743 will get counted twice when they go N of Deshler. They got counted 3x as they wyed their power at least once that I saw. That time they did not go N of town.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0486 seconds