Home Open Account Help 197 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Blimps

Date: 11/07/07 21:24
Blimps
Author: 3rail

I was watching a show on The History Channel about Blimps. They visited an old Blimp base in Southeast Florida. The guide was showing the narrator around where the old buildings once stood. However, in the background, several pieces of railroad rolling stock could be seen. Passenger cars, Diesel engines, and even a small steamer. None were in any kind of restored condition. Any information about this equipment would be appreciated.

Date: 11/08/07 03:47
Re: Blimps
Author: Jaap

I believe the Port of Tillamook bay (sp) owns railroad equipment

Date: 11/08/07 05:44
Author: DRLOCO

yeah=--that sounds like POTB. the port authority actually runs the old blimp hangar and surrounding land as an industrial park, and the railroad is based there. They're a pretty friendly bunch. They still use SD9's (and a lone GP9 from theB&O). THat particular blimp hangar has an air museum in 1/2 of the hangar, and that half has tons of planes in it--the hangar is truly an amazing piece of WWII engineering--all wood!
they had 2 on the land, but storing hay in it back in the 80's, a fire started, and hay in a wood building=a big bonfire!

Date: 11/08/07 08:13
Author: emd_mrs1

Since POTB's equipment could not bee seen from as far away as Florida, I suspect that this may be the Gold Coast RR Museum in Florida, which is indeed near some old airship hangars.

Michael

Date: 11/08/07 10:49
Author: RWS4449

The rail equipment is some of the collection located at the Gold Coast Railroad Museum. The museum is situated on the grounds of the former Richmond Naval Air Station south of Miami, Florida which housed blimps during WW II. The hangers burned in a fire during a hurricane in 1945. The Gold Coast relocated to this site in 1984 from their former location in Fort Lauderdale. The site is on the former Seaboard Air Line tracks to Homestead, Florida.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0334 seconds