Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Freight Trains on the History channel Tonight 8PM

Date: 01/03/08 13:52
Freight Trains on the History channel Tonight 8PM
Author: espeesGeeps

Set your Tivo's Tonight as at 8PM Thursday (Tonight) and also on Friday night at 1200AM. The History Channels Modern Marvels will air (Freight Trains) It's a blast to watch as they cover it all, from The history of the big boys. all the way to a cab Ride in a modern BNSF heavy double stack train over Cajon Pass. Also Union Pacific's Massive Baily yard. and much more .Below is whats from the History Channel website. Enjoy

They are the life blood of the American Economy, transporting 1.8 billion tons of freight each year, carrying everything from crops, to consumer electronics, cars to chemicals, not to mention coal and just about any other item that you can think of. This program will take you to what is considered the greatest freight transportation system in the world, the Union Pacific's Bailey yard--a pit stop for much of the nation's freight on its journey across the continent. We'll also explore the history of freight transportation from its humble beginnings as tramways in mines to complex system of rails that stretches to every corner of the nation.

Date: 01/03/08 16:18
Re: Freight Trains on the History channel Tonight 8PM
Author: csxt4617

espeesGeeps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Set your Tivo's Tonight as at 8PM Thursday
> (Tonight) and also on Friday night at 1200AM.

not to be picky, but it's Thursday night/Friday morning at 12 midnight.
(just in case someone wants to tape it, so they won't be disappointed.
The one Friday night at midnight is about a BP refinery explosion)

Date: 01/03/08 16:35
Author: espeesGeeps

Sorry about the incorrect time here's the link.

http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=186932

Date: 01/03/08 16:55
Author: dschlegel

I've caught this show, pretty good too. Only thing I cringed at was when the BNSF engineer was describing dynamic braking and stated that the traction motors are turned into resistors.

Date: 01/04/08 04:05
Author: drwes

Buying that DVD from the History Channel has been one of my best investments in train DVDs. It is excellent, well-produced and presents a wealth of information. As for the dynamic brake thing by the BNSF engineer, I think he was trying to simplify the concept of dynamic braking, but honestly, I don't know. Believe me my friends, think of it as 2 extra large pizzas investment. It is well worth the money.

Wes

Date: 01/04/08 04:43
Author: ESPEEFAN

I wanted them to show more of Bailey Yard.

Date: 01/04/08 06:20
Author: trainmaster3

It was also a kick to see what professionals, with top end equipment and production resources, can do from a video perspective with the subject matter. That isn't a knock on the photo/video material that we get on T.O. and elsewhere, as I'm sure we all agree that there is a wealth of fantastic amateur and pro perspective available out there.

Not sure when this program was produced, but I somewhat agree that it would have been kind of intersting to have "a little more" of the Bailey coverage. At least it would have been interesting to see the flyovers and a little background on their necessity, but neither were they lacking in communicating the scope and volume of UP's operations there in terms of facts and figures, and for a one hour program, covered it's bases quite well.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0395 seconds