Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > How many NS SD70s are still blue?

Date: 04/21/08 17:09
How many NS SD70s are still blue?
Author: pennsy3750

How many of NS' SD70s are still out there in their Conrail paint?

I count five - 2564, 2576, 2577, 2579, 2580.

Are there any others?

Date: 04/21/08 17:18
Re: How many NS SD70s are still blue?
Author: NSDash9

Six. Add the 2574 to your list.

Here is my roster of former Conrail units that went to NS and the current paint for the active units:

http://www.nsdash9.com/crrepaints.html

Chris Toth
NSDash9.com

Date: 04/21/08 17:35
Author: toledopatch

NSDash9 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Six. Add the 2574 to your list.
>
> Here is my roster of former Conrail units that
> went to NS and the current paint for the active
> units:
>
> http://www.nsdash9.com/crrepaints.html

Hmmm, looking at that list, the long-term future for the ex-CR SD50s looks pretty bleak, eh?

Date: 04/21/08 17:41
Author: NSDash9

The SD50's are going to be rebuilt as 3,000 horsepower units. The first few (from NS units) are already underway at Altoona and the former Conrail units will also be rebuilt as time goes along.

Chris Toth
NSDash9.com

Date: 04/21/08 18:11
Author: Larry576

I had 2574 as my lead motor on 212 yesterday. Complete with a nice vulgar remark about VP of Operations Mark Manion neatly stenciled on the engineer's side of the cab LOL. Not sure if it made my day - but it helped.

Larry

Date: 04/22/08 21:21
Author: NKPSOUTHERN

I saw 2579 at work today at the CSX Fariburn, GA. intermodal ramp setting in the wye in between two BNSF Dash 9's. Blue paint still looks pretty good.

Date: 04/22/08 23:13
Author: mp109

Any truth to the report (rumor?) that ALL of the blue units on NS will be black by the end of the year? If so, I suppose they want them all to be black by the 10th aniverary of the takeover. (can it be that long?!)

Date: 04/23/08 07:34

mp109 Wrote:
> Any truth to the report (rumor?) that ALL of the
> blue units on NS will be black by the end of the
> year? If so, I suppose they want them all to be
> black by the 10th aniverary of the takeover. (can
> it be that long?!)

I've heard that rumor, too, but I don't think its truth can really be assessed until we reach year's end (or June 1, 2009, if the 10th anniversary* goal is correct).

*-STB-approved effective date was sometime in August 1998, but 'implementation day' was the following June 1.

Date: 04/23/08 09:47
Author: junctiontower

I've always thought it was funny that not long after the merger, NS began repainting some of the almost new 70's when the paint has been literally falling off their own 70's. Some of the low numbered 2500's have more yellow primer showing than black paint!

Date: 04/23/08 10:55

junctiontower Wrote:
> I've always thought it was funny that not long
> after the merger, NS began repainting some of the
> almost new 70's when the paint has been literally
> falling off their own 70's. Some of the low
> numbered 2500's have more yellow primer showing
> than black paint!

I agree. If I were king, I'd give priority to repainting locos that (a) I intended to keep for a while and (b) whose paint was in the roughest shape. That would mean that all the beat-up looking Fade-A-Boats and ex-LMS units would be black by now but very few of the ex-CR SD70s would be. While there have been a few locomotives retired shortly after repainting, NS generally appears to follow (a). But the numbers of horrid-looking old Conrail GEs and middle-aged NS road power suggest (b) hasn't gained a lot of traction.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0484 seconds