Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Fostoria and NS trains

Date: 05/01/08 07:38
Fostoria and NS trains
Author: JesseB

Hello all,
Heading out at the start of June for my last real big traincation. I know, I've said that the last couple of years, but with a little one on the way, that will cut down on trips for a little while.

Anyway, I always make it a point to hit Fostoria and the surrounding areas a couple of those days.

I remember reading back a few months ago that the Auto loading plant in Fostoria was possibly shutting down.

With that in mind, I was wondering if there has been a change in operating patterns and if anyone could supply a list of what NS trains run through there nowadays. The last couple of years I've been out there I've seen an increase in operations and it's hard sometimes to get the symbols off the radio(to much CSX chatter). Any type of list would be greatly appreciated.
Tahnks, Jess in NJ

Date: 05/01/08 07:47
Re: Fostoria and NS trains
Author: toledopatch

JesseB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello all,
> Heading out at the start of June for my last real
> big traincation. I know, I've said that the last
> couple of years, but with a little one on the way,
> that will cut down on trips for a little while.
>
> Anyway, I always make it a point to hit Fostoria
> and the surrounding areas a couple of those days.
>
> I remember reading back a few months ago that the
> Auto loading plant in Fostoria was possibly
> shutting down.
>
> With that in mind, I was wondering if there has
> been a change in operating patterns and if anyone
> could supply a list of what NS trains run through
> there nowadays. The last couple of years I've been
> out there I've seen an increase in operations and
> it's hard sometimes to get the symbols off the
> radio(to much CSX chatter). Any type of list would
> be greatly appreciated.

First, the auto mixing center in Fostoria is NOT shutting down. That was a rumor that spread because NS was considering changing contractors for operation of the facility, and that meant that technically, everybody was subject to layoff and rehiring so notice had to be given to the state labor department. Whether NS actually followed through with that change, I don't know.

As far as I can tell from recent visits to that area, there has been no significant change in the way NS operates the Fostoria District during the last few months other than the occasional symbol reroute (such as 27V no longer operating Toledo-Bellevue-Fort Wayne). I've never had any trouble getting symbols for NS trains running through Fostoria; their crews consistently announce their symbol while calling signals whereas CSX crews sometimes give only their engine number.

Date: 05/01/08 08:49
Author: ddavies

When the little one is little, you still will be able to make some trips, depending on how mom puts up with railfanning. ;-)

Wait until the kid is about 8 and gets into sports, little league, scouts, soccer, swimming, etc. THEN your weekends will be gone ... ;-)

Date: 05/01/08 09:09

Ahhhhhhhh yes. Lucky for me, there are a few main lines here in NJ.

Date: 05/01/08 13:55
Author: CR6079

When you get here look me know got some catching up to do.

Date: 05/01/08 15:29
Author: s0450982

Jesse,

I headed out to Fostoria and Berea last May and it was quite a treat. Aside from the 90 degree temperatures, it was nice seeing the sun set at 9:30pm. I'm actually heading out to Chicago in 2 weeks for a traincation with intentions of stopping at Deshler and Berea on the way back.

-Tim in NJ

Date: 05/01/08 17:53
Re: Fostoria and NS trains along with CSX
Author: farmer

Anyone planning a trip to Fostoria on May 12 might be disappointed in train traffic due to the replacement of the diamonds at Wood street. (B&O and NS) Also if everything falls into place the diamonds at Hamler Ohio will be replaced the same day so the CSX Chicago line will be pretty much dead during daylight hours.

Date: 05/01/08 18:04
Re: Fostoria and NS trains along with CSX
Author: MDH

farmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone planning a trip to Fostoria on May 12 might
> be disappointed in train traffic due to the
> replacement of the diamonds at Wood street. (B&O
> and NS) Also if everything falls into place the
> diamonds at Hamler Ohio will be replaced the same
> day so the CSX Chicago line will be pretty much
> dead during daylight hours.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm tentatively planning on hitting any or all of Bellevue/Attica Jct/Willard/Greenwich on the way to a relative's house in Lodi, OH during the morning of the 13th. Not sure if the replacements on the 12th will make that better or worse than average (maybe pick up a backlog of trains on the B&O before/after?) Particularly, if things get pushed back a day let me know and I'll re-focus/re-route for NS or W&LE more.

Thanks,
Michael

Date: 05/02/08 06:00

traincation this year runs from June 4th to June 15th. I guess i'm pretty lucky the diamonds in Fostoria are being changed in May. I'd be pretty ticked off if it was when I'm out there. lol
Jess

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0634 seconds