Home Open Account Help 188 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Trip to Quincy, IL

Date: 08/19/08 19:43
Trip to Quincy, IL
Author: SpaceTrain

Thanks to all who sent me info on fanning in the Quincy, IL area. Had a blast this past weekend and actually caught a few trains (John, sorry we couldn't catch up ~ next time).

With much time on my hands while my friends played golf (don't ask why I do not, as all I can say is I am more of a threat to bystanders than I am to myself with a golf club), I went and caught a couple of trains coming through Quincy. Not being familiar with the territory, I do not know which sub on the BNSF it was, other than this was part of the original CB&Q line, and I could not decipher it from the scanner traffic, as the West Quincy Yard handled all the dispatching that I heard, mostly for the K-Line through West Quincy.

So, without further adieu, here are some of my photos from this past weekend (oh, should mention that this line was undergoing ROW maintenance with the grinders on Saturday, so traffic was squat that day except for the one's I missed).

1) Taking advice, I parked at the Amtrak depot at the corner of 30th & Wisman to await a train. While waiting, my only visitors were this little guy hanging around in the ground cover.

2) I had to leave for a moment to go find a place to use the restroom (breakfast at the Coach House will do that), and missed the first freight of the day eastbound. But after I settled back in, I caught this little Robin on the track awaiting the next train.

3) Finally, Amtrak 381 South (the Carl Sandburg) arrives.

Date: 08/19/08 19:47
Re: Trip to Quincy, IL

So, these are the rest of my photos. . .

4) The conductors get off helping passengers <EDIT - this should read "the conductors get off to help passengers, did not mean it to sound like, well it shouldn't>

5) The next day, I caught this Westbound led by BNSF 7732, ES44DC, heading toward Quincy at track speed. I apologize for the pole in the shot, tracking a 50+ MPH train is not easy.

6) Trailing unit on that consist was BNSF 1120, a Dash-944CW.

Date: 08/19/08 19:56

7) The DPU for the WB train was BNSF 4154. This was easier to frame in something I liked, because the train had slowed from track speed heading into Quincy.

8) AMTK 55 leads Sunday's 381 down into Quincy.

9) An eastbound freight headed out of West Quincy, but because I could not quite (as of yet) figger out which East they meant (apparently, north on the K-line is actually east timetable-wise), I just decided to wait at my location and lo, heard the whistles as the train moved through town. So, caught this EB BNSF 5066 leading 6741, still in Santa Fe colors despite the patch, as they accelerated to track speed by my location (36th and Kochs).

Hope you enjoy! I had fun taking them (and waiting ~ sorry for the wildlife photos at the front but those are only two of the many I took that day).

Best wishes,
Roger

Date: 08/19/08 19:59
Author: burlingtonjohn

Next trip, I'll hold that rain check for you!

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 08/19/08 20:13

John, look forward to it! I did make it to Palmyra, but heard the grinders were heading down that direction on the track, so I went back to Quincy.

Date: 08/19/08 20:17

Almost forgot these two shots of the Burlington Junction Rail switchers sitting on the track along Front Street in Quincy. Here are BJRY 1607, a GP16, along with 8352, a former Paducha and Louisville GP10 switcher.

Roger

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0709 seconds