Home Open Account Help 160 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Washington D.C. Union Station 100th Anniversary Rumor

Date: 09/11/08 03:06
Washington D.C. Union Station 100th Anniversary Rumor
Author: Highiron82

I heard a rumor that Union Station in Washington D.C. was going to have a number of vintage locomotives and coaches on display for their 100th Anniversary. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? If so does anyone know any information on it and the dates for the event?

Date: 09/11/08 04:25
Re: Washington D.C. Union Station 100th Anniversary Rum
Author: Cameraman

I can confirm vintage E units from North Carolina are scheduled to make the trip. Dates of travel unknown.

Date: 09/11/08 04:26
Author: SVTS

Not sure. Not to change the subject though, the B&O Museum will be having Steam Days, I think the weekend of Oct. 4. http://www.borail.org

Chris Bogley
Bowie, MD

Date: 09/11/08 05:28
Author: JUTower

I can confirm an F unit and a GP9 will be in attendance as well. There is more detail here:
http://greatamericanstations.com/

-Alex

Date: 09/11/08 07:56
Author: csxcophotographer

Alex,

Let me guess the GP9 and F7 are from the SBV?

CSXCOPHOTOGRAPHER

Date: 09/11/08 08:15
Author: Nictd1000

Let me add to the Rumor, I've heard on other forums that a GG1 and PRR business car 120 will also be in attendance.

Ryan

Date: 09/11/08 09:43

Ryan,

Too bad the 4876 is in such horrible shape, as this would be the ideal locomotive to have in Union Station as it was the most historic locomotive to make a change to the station when it went through the floor. This later was part of the decision to make one part of Union Station a vistiors center in the late 70's early 80's. A very huge part of the 100 years of history.

Most GG1's are not capable of moving on the rails anymore, so getting one to Union Station would be very difficult.

As for locomotive from the south... Southern E8 from Spencer is a possibility as that operated the Cresent into the station for a number of years.

A Chessie GP9 of GP9 would signify the early years of commuter service from Washington to Baltimore and even something B&O would be relevant of that era as they also led trains to Camden Station in the 60's and 70's

Even the NS F Units would be part of the celebration as a couple of them have passed through the station over the years..

CSXCOPHOTOGRAPHER

Date: 09/11/08 10:18
Author: JUTower

csxcophotographer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alex,
>
> Let me guess the GP9 and F7 are from the SBV?
>
> CSXCOPHOTOGRAPHER

Potomac Eagle, yes.
-Alex

Date: 09/11/08 10:19

There is a very good truth ... just found out that the GG1 from Strasburg will be making an appearance along with the E60 that they have as well... Two good pieces that should not be left out of any celebration like this

CSXCOPHOTOGRAPHER

Date: 09/11/08 10:24
Author: SVTS

GG1 4876 is stored at the B&O Museum's restoration shop in Baltimore. We are not doing any of the work to it, rather a private group is, we just store it for them. You see it on the B&O train ride.

Chris Bogley
Bowie, MD

Date: 09/11/08 13:27
Author: Mgoldman

Uh, when?

Too bad there isn't a UA Turbo around to make a visit.

/Mitch

Date: 09/11/08 17:44
Author: Tominde

How about a K4s and string of P70s!!!!! And while we're at it, throw in a Washington Terminal RS1. Still a few of those around. And I think the PRR B6 here in Delaware may have spent time on WT.

Tom

Date: 09/12/08 16:48
Author: Nictd1000

I'm actually surprised there isnt a Washington Terminal RS1 making the trip. Thats the first piece of equipment I thought they would get. Still with all the stuff that IS going, I wish I go visit!

Ryan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0503 seconds