Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Train crews-- which engine is your favorite?

Date: 09/11/08 13:56
Train crews-- which engine is your favorite?
Author: mc5725

This is a general question intended primarily for the folks who run the trains on a regular basis... I'm interested in working for the railroad hopefully some time in the future, and I'm curious which locos are better from an operational standpoint... Which locos do you like to run most of all and why? Does it have to do with pulling/braking power and/or comfort in the cab, or reliability? Also, I'm curious which locomotive breeds that you truly detest (if any)... As a railfan, I already have my own list of favorite locos that I like to see/hear from down on the ground, but I'm curious about how you guys up in the cab feel, because I'm sure there's going to be some differences in our opinions... Thanks in advance,

>>MC

Date: 09/11/08 15:54
Re: Train crews-- which engine is your favorite?
Author: CIOR

The SD40-2.
They are the best engine ever made, hands down.
Will pull anything, anytime, anyplace.

The newer engines are nice, for the creature comforts, but they will never top the SD40-2.

Date: 09/11/08 16:05
Author: zchcsse

I'm a conductor with BNSF out west. Thus I don't get to drive 'em, but I get to work on 'em. And since we get a lot of run-through power, I've ridden in all major class 1 railroad power except CP (we don't get a lot of CP in Needles, CA). And with that sampling I'd have to say that luckily BNSF wins...with CN being a close second (they have microwaves!). I'd then follow that with UP, CSX and finally NS (I pity those poor crews at NS). I haven't done enough with KCS or Ferromex to have strong opinions either way yet.

As far as locomotive models, newer=better. While I love seeing and hearing standard cab locomotives, primarily SD40-2's, when trackside, they are terribly loud and uncomfortable to work in. Out here the best locos to get on the point are the ES44DC's since they are by far the quietest, and among that group I like the 7600's and 7700's group since they have a computer screen on the conductors side. The 7500's do not have the computer screen plus they have the old style engineer stand. I haven't been in a 7400-series yet, but I belive they're just like the 7500's.

I did fairly recently have a brand new KCS SD70ACe and that thing was QUIET! I almost thought we had it isolated it was so quiet.

So, in summary, newer is better and BNSF has the best.

Tom

Date: 09/11/08 16:14
Author: tihess

I prefer to run the C-40-8 standard cab locomotive. I like the control stand better than the desktop and they pull hard.

Date: 09/11/08 16:27
Author: cockaboose

AC60CW's. Nothing else is even really close. I used to run these at 70mph on the CSX A-Line. They've since lowered the maximum authorized speed to 60mph. The AC60CW's were the only engines that would actually get up to 70mph with a 8,000 foot pig/stack train, and great dynamics as well.

Date: 09/11/08 16:31
Author: mjbobb

C40-8 standard cab, AC6000,AC4400,ES44DC in that order.

SD40-2 favorite EMD although they are getting old and worn out! How many engines have lasted as long as the SD40-2? Not too many if any at all.

Overall i am a GE fan

Date: 09/11/08 18:29
Author: KV1guy

When switching, or maybe working locals you simply can not beat the SD40-2. Good power, rides pretty good, great room for crews to move around on. Its a shame that they are wearing out as fast as they are.

As far as modern power goes....prob the AC4400CW or AC6000CW. EMD AC's suck... especially the ACe. I dont like the way they load, shocks in the HTCR's wear out too quick. GE's seem more user friendly. I you took the technology of a GE and built it with EMD parts....you'd have the loco from hell!

Date: 09/11/08 18:36
Author: BurghMan

For creature comforts, it is hard to pass up a CSX Road Slug set. If the slug is leading that is! With no prime mover, there is no noise. It is nice to have a normal conversation in the cab every now and then!

The railroad I work for doesn't get that much in the way of foreign power, but a few years ago I did get a chance to work with some UP units which were in captive service for a few weeks. It was an AC4400/AC6000 combo. UP 7201 and UP 7510. The crew stations were nice, the seats were comfortable and I was really impressed by the performance. The dynamic brakes are what really got my attention. With a 125-car coal train on relatively level track, the dynamics took us from 47 MPH to a full stop in less then 9,000 feet. On other runs with conventional power, I'd usually go first service at the distant signal (9,000 foot distance) and I'd usually need a further reduction about a half mile away.

I don't know what it is about the dynamics on those AC units but once you hear them starting to get that deeper pitch, they just grind the speed down. I know I was impressed!

Date: 09/11/08 21:30
Author: M640

My favorites; 1. ES44AC
2. AC4400CW
3. AC6000CW
4. C/B40-8
5. ES44DC
6. CW40-8
7. B36-7

Junk I never want to run again; 1. SD40-2 scap em all!
2. SD70mac
3. SD60M/I
4. SD50
5. GP40/38
6. SD70ACE

Date: 09/11/08 23:13
Author: SOU_4501

zchcsse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm a conductor with BNSF out west. Thus I don't
> get to drive 'em, but I get to work on 'em. And
> since we get a lot of run-through power, I've
> ridden in all major class 1 railroad power except
> CP (we don't get a lot of CP in Needles, CA). And
> with that sampling I'd have to say that luckily
> BNSF wins...with CN being a close second (they
> have microwaves!). I'd then follow that with UP,
> CSX and finally NS (I pity those poor crews at
> NS). I haven't done enough with KCS or Ferromex
> to have strong opinions either way yet.
>
> As far as locomotive models, newer=better. While
> I love seeing and hearing standard cab
> locomotives, primarily SD40-2's, when trackside,
> they are terribly loud and uncomfortable to work
> in. Out here the best locos to get on the point
> are the ES44DC's since they are by far the
> quietest, and among that group I like the 7600's
> and 7700's group since they have a computer screen
> on the conductors side. The 7500's do not have
> the computer screen plus they have the old style
> engineer stand. I haven't been in a 7400-series
> yet, but I belive they're just like the 7500's.
>
> I did fairly recently have a brand new KCS SD70ACe
> and that thing was QUIET! I almost thought we had
> it isolated it was so quiet.
>
> So, in summary, newer is better and BNSF has the
> best.
>
> Tom

Why put pity on the NS crews?

Date: 09/12/08 07:02
Author: Larry576

Definitely the fan favorite catfish and GEVO's for me. Smooth riding, controls/breakers laid out right and you know how they will respond to throttling and dynamic (tho DC GEVO's do need better dynamic brake power). The only decent post Dash 2 EMD is the SD70M. The rest arent worth a damn - especially the ACE/M-2. I also LOVE our "new" 3000 series rebuilt GP40's for switching.
Larry

Date: 09/12/08 08:10
Author: mc5725

OK, so there's definitely a swing towards modern Dash-8-or-later GE power as well as EMD Dash-2 power... Thanks everyone so far for the input; any other replies are certainly welcome... ;^)

>>MC

Date: 09/12/08 08:23
Author: Jaap

My Lionel EP-5 going around my chrismas tree, while I got my feet up and drinking a few Scotch's ;-)

Date: 09/12/08 11:17
Author: WLE-Foam

As a conductor, I'd say not necessarily an engine as a type of engine.

Anything in wide cab format.

They are comfortable, heated/AC well, and the table top is the best part. The paperwork/books you have to contend with daily is much easier laid out on a table as opposed to your lap or seat in front of you.

Date: 09/12/08 11:58
Author: imrl

GP38-2's, Sd40-2's, AC44's, AC45's (UP's Gevo's), and SD70M's. Really, anything with a tall back seat, sidewall heaters and AC is pretty good. I don't really care for the B/C-40's or CW's. The cab insulation is falling off of every SD60M I've been on lately, and the 70's and some AC44's are starting to do the same.

Date: 09/12/08 12:23
Author: DeshlerRailfan

WLE-Foam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As a conductor, I'd say not necessarily an engine
> as a type of engine.
>
> Anything in wide cab format.
>
> They are comfortable, heated/AC well, and the
> table top is the best part. The paperwork/books
> you have to contend with daily is much easier laid
> out on a table as opposed to your lap or seat in
> front of you.

Where do you plan to put your Derf? Seems to me that would be a very important consideration! ;-)

Date: 09/12/08 19:49
Author: CIOR

You can always tell a road engineer vs a local/yard engineer.

Road guys love the GE's
Yard/Local guys love EMD's

I'll stick with the SD40-2. Even today they outdo most of the new GE crap.
Something that loads quick, pulls constant and doesn't go up in flames...SD40-2.

I will admit the newer stuff is nice for the AC and creature comfort, but for doing a job such as switching and moving cars around, the SD40-2 is still a good engine.
Ya, they are old, but show me a GE that is that old and still doing that well?

Date: 09/13/08 13:34
Author: Knucklehead

On road trains...GEVO's, hands down. I agree with an earlier post about the dynamics on DC versions. When I want dynamic, I want it NOW. I'll gladly take an SD40-2, SD50 or SD60, Dash-8, AC4400 or AC6000. As for creature comforts, anything with a conventional control stand.

Locals/yard jobs...anything EMD up to the SD60. EXCEPT GP15-1's. They are fun to play with but won't pull a hill of beans! For pulling power, nothing beats an SD40-2 or GP40-2/Slug combo.

Most dispised locomotives: Anything EMD has built since the SD60.

GE came up with a grand idea when they installed inverters for every axle. EMD has one per truck. Inturn, a GE will drop load on individual slipping axles where EMD's will drop the load to the entire truck eventhough there is only one axle slipping. EMD has creep control on the lead axle. It supposed to turn the axle something like 5% faster to clean the rail head. It doesn't work right. Most of the time the computer senses the extra slippage and drops the load. That's not a good thing when trying to pull tonnage up a hill in the rain!

"KH"

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2775 seconds