Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Maryland Midland on 5/1/09

Date: 04/28/09 18:39
Maryland Midland on 5/1/09
Author: yhandf

I'm planning to shadow the Maryland Midland this coming Friday with my son (He's quickly becoming a train nut himself...). Does anyone know if the MMID is scheduled to run to Highfield or Emory Grove? I'd like to plan out a few spots to stop for him to enjoy in advance if possible.

Thanks guys!

Date: 04/28/09 19:51
Re: Maryland Midland on 5/1/09
Author: SVTS

I can't answer rather or not they are running, but more than likey they are. If they do run do Highfield, be sure to catch it on the way back. The MM crosses MD 550 near Thurmont on a slighty high bridge. There is a pull off on the right side on the road (Headed back to Thurmont), just after the bridge. I'm at work, or I would post my shot. Just a different perspective of the MM. You'll have to ready if you are shooting photos or video however as you won't hear the train coming as they will going downgrade at the time. Either way, have fun with your son, that's all that matters.

Chris Bogley
Bowie, MD

Date: 04/28/09 20:36
Author: toledopatch

Standard advice for Maryland Midland: go to Union Bridge first thing in the morning and chase them whichever way they go. If they go to Emory Grove, your best shots will be on the way out. If they go to Highfield, your best shots will be on the way back.

Date: 04/29/09 10:18
Author: JayK

Good advice above, with one caveat. I was there on Monday 2/27 and radio chatter referred to the train as the UBEG at least twice, and then it headed west. I set up east of town and only realized what was happening when I heard the train had stalled on Middleburg Hill west of town. Recently the UBHF has been running Mon and Wed, UBEG Tues, Wed, and Thurs. I've been up four times this month and spring is looking pretty in western Maryland.

1. Y Road in Keymar

2. Sabillasville Curve

3. Middleburg, MD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds