Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Way Too Much Noise.....

Date: 04/30/09 16:05
Way Too Much Noise.....
Author: GP35

Today this overcast Thursday April 30, 2009 loaded rockrunner train K717 led by CSX 6354, 6156, and 6121 made plenty of turbocharged EMD engine noise. The K717 train was being shoved hard up Jones Hill located along the Alexandria extension track and down into Bladensburg quarry located in the Bladensburg, Maryland area.

First three pics are of K717 making the reverse move going up the hill at the Lawrence Street crossing in the Bladensburg area at 10:00 am.

I assume this K717 was loaded in Bittenger, Pa. and then came west on the Capital subdivision to JD. K717 was then shoved down the west leg of the Hyattsville wye at JD and into the quarry lead located at the crest of Jones Hill. K717 is an interesting train since I'm accustomed to rockrunner train Q751 coming from Millville, West Virginia and serving the Bladensburg quarry.

Gilbert

Date: 04/30/09 16:11
Re: Way Too Much Noise.....

Top pic is K717 stopped momentarily at Lawrence Street so the conductor can open up the switch to the quarry lead.

Middle pic the GP40-2's are working hard with sand flying everywhere at 52nd Avenue located at Jones Hill.

Bottom pic is K717 shoving down into the quarry lead with 52nd Avenue in the foreground.

Date: 04/30/09 16:15

Top pic the geeps are navigating between a pair of warehouse buildings on the quarry lead.

Middle pic is the train being delivered to the quarry.

Bottom pic the engines are uncoupled and will couple up to the empty rockrunner cars to take back for loading.

Date: 04/30/09 16:19

Last two pics are of the 42 empities being hauled east toward Baltimore at Riverdale interlocking. The K717 is coming off the east leg of the Hyattsville wye and onto the Capital sub. 11:20 am.

Gilbert

Date: 05/01/09 09:57
Author: rbenko

Wait, I'm a bit confused - rocks being DELIVERED to a quarry? Can someone explain?

Date: 05/01/09 11:05
Author: winchester

They might be crushing them up to make another type of product?

Date: 05/01/09 12:11

rbenko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wait, I'm a bit confused - rocks being DELIVERED
> to a quarry? Can someone explain?

Well it's not a "quarry" but it is an aggregate distribution center for the Washington, D.C. area. The train delivers the aggregate to the Bladensburg aggregate distribution facilty from Millville quarry or Bittenger, Pa. Tons of dump trucks come in to get their load from "Bladensburg Quarry". Not a "quarry" but the railroaders often refer to the Bladensburg facility as a "quarry".

Hope this helps even though quite wordy,

Gilbert

Date: 05/01/09 12:18
Author: MK9515

That's the kind of noise I like. 2nd Gen EMD!

Date: 05/01/09 21:46
Author: rbenko

Thanks GP35 - you explained it nicely

Date: 05/02/09 07:09
Author: AJnCorrie

Three EMD's at full song...that's not noise my friend...that's music.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0726 seconds