Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > You can't fix stupid

Date: 08/27/09 17:28
You can't fix stupid
Author: mully

These two Darwin award hopefuls crossed within a few seconds of each other.

Gary
www.garymullisphotography.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/09 17:30 by mully.

Date: 08/27/09 17:42
Re: You can't fix stupid
Author: RNinRVR

Especially that lady on the scooter. If one of her wheels got into the track gap, she would have been toast.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 08/27/09 17:55
Author: Ron

I find these types of pictures, and subsequent posts, to be more stupid than the individuals that they show.

Thousands and thousands of people cross thousands of railroad tracks each day without being killed. The number of people that get hit by trains each day is so minuscule that it's not even worth mentioning.

You want everyone that sees this picture to think how close the train is to hitting either of these two individuals. But in truth, the locomotive in the second picture is still 200 to 300 feet from the crossing and it's not moving very fast.

I don't understand what you're really trying to tell everyone. Yes people cross the tracks in front of oncoming trains.

For all anybody knows these two pictures are posted oposite from the way they were taken and the train may have just backed clear of the crossing.

Ron

Date: 08/27/09 18:18
Author: lawndude

Amen, This thread=Dead horse. Move on folks nothing to see here.

Date: 08/27/09 18:22
Author: DanThorne

BTW, where was this genetic backwash?

DT

Date: 08/27/09 19:59
Author: chapmaja

There are several unanswered questions in this photo? What was the speed of the train. How far apart was the train and the crossing when these people crossed.

From the look of the camera shot it looks like this was taken with a zoom lense meaning it is very possible the gap is much larger than it appears.

Since this is not a video we can't can't see the actual speed of the train or the precuations that the individuals may or may not have taken prior to crossing the tracks.

Date: 08/27/09 20:50
Author: ALCO630

Amen and thank you Ron. I was starting to think it was only me.

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 08/27/09 21:06
Author: burgman99

and yet if these were vehicles everyone would be saying the opposite...

Date: 08/28/09 01:04
Author: JimmyJam

The 1st picture I dont see any foul really. The train is a couple hundred yards away at least. The posted Speed Limit is 40/35 mph as you can see in the 1st pic. So there is a good chance that the train wasn't going even 35. Naturally that lady will have a potential problem if the wheel sticks but that can be the case even without a train coming. She would most likely take a nice header over the handle bars. The 2nd one is a pretty common occurence. Cut the distance in half and then I would classify him as a moron. I have seen alot worse on many occasions

Date: 08/28/09 06:01
Author: cjvrr

Looks like a whistle post in the tress on the left, so in the first photo the train hasn't even reached the whistle post. In the second they are just beyond it. So I don't think either person in the photo is in the wrong.

Date: 08/28/09 06:41
Author: ChessieSystem

This is also an extreme telephoto shot that distorts the distance between objects. I don't understand the reason to post, especially since it was requested that the "Darwin" bologna cease long ago...

C27A

Date: 08/28/09 07:16
Author: DeshlerRailfan

JimmyJam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 1st picture I dont see any foul really. The
> train is a couple hundred yards away at least. The
> posted Speed Limit is 40/35 mph as you can see in
> the 1st pic. So there is a good chance that the
> train wasn't going even 35. Naturally that lady
> will have a potential problem if the wheel sticks
> but that can be the case even without a train
> coming. She would most likely take a nice header
> over the handle bars. The 2nd one is a pretty
> common occurence. Cut the distance in half and
> then I would classify him as a moron. I have seen
> alot worse on many occasions

The first pic also has what looks like a red board. I wonder if there were any speed restrictions though the work area.

Date: 08/28/09 08:41
Author: ajy6b

burgman99 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and yet if these were vehicles everyone would be
> saying the opposite...

Well vehicles are longer and a bigger target. If they stall on the track then the person has to get out of the car, which takes time. As for the scooter lady, she is probably not that out of shape where she can get out of the way. It is hard to tell by the pictures. Also, this is an extreme telephoto shot so the train is probably farther than it appears. No foul here.

Date: 08/28/09 13:02
Author: UP_Tops

With a title like that, I'd expect to see something like this: http://apps.detnews.com/apps/multimedia/player/index.php?id=3769

Date: 08/31/09 08:42
Author: trainfreek

also - for them to be considered for the Darwin Awards, they must remove themselves from the Gene Pool...

Mark Wohlgemuth
Culpeper, VA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0715 seconds