Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Woman Struck, Killed By Train In Delaware

Date: 10/06/09 09:35
Woman Struck, Killed By Train In Delaware
Author: NSHorseheadSD70

I didn't see this on the board anywhere and happened to notice it on a news site today. Reports say she was on a cell phone and was struck by the train.

http://cbs3.com/local/train.fatal.delaware.2.1228018.html

Chris Tokarcik
Morgantown, WV

Date: 10/06/09 09:41
Re: Woman Struck, Killed By Train In Delaware
Author: toledopatch

I would ask rhetorically if people also step out into street traffic without looking because they're absorbed with their headphone-music, but the sad reality is, Yes, they do. The difference is, cars can swerve or more readily brake hard to avoid hitting them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/09 09:41 by toledopatch.

Date: 10/06/09 10:09
Author: Tominde

Sadly there have been 17 fatalities in the last 15 years on about the 1 mile stretch through Newark, DE. Some at the grade crossing, but most are pedestrian. She was a bright you lady who worked as a graphic arts designer. She was probably distracted talking on a cell phone while walking where she should not have been walking. Track speed at that point is 40 mph. CSX has already installed a major fence along one stretch of the line about a half mile further east. There is a pedestrian underpass about 300 yards where she was crossing the tracks.

Tom P

Date: 10/06/09 11:34
Author: NSHorseheadSD70

I'm not if it was a quiet zone or not as the article does not say. I really don't see how you can miss a moving train with all the noise and the horn and the crossing lights. It really makes you wonder sometimes.

Chris Tokarcik
Morgantown, WV

Date: 10/06/09 14:48
Author: scoobydoobydoo

Well at least she Didn't kill another person driving down the road while on her cell phone,ipod,or texing.I cant tell you how many time here in ohio that we came dam close to being in a Wreck because of those reasons.In ohio there saying its more Dangerous than DRUNK DRIVERS in you can beleive that........Scoobydoobydoooo

Date: 10/06/09 16:05
Author: P

Tominde Wrote:
There is a
> pedestrian underpass about 300 yards where she was
> crossing the tracks.
>
> Tom P

While 300 yards is a pretty good distance to walk to cross a set of tracks, I can easily understand why most people would take the shortcut. What I don't understand is how you could take the shortcut and NOT LOOK FOR A TRAIN!!!

As to the driving comments, I'll agree it is good that she didn't cause anyone else physical harm because of her carelessness, I think it is reckless to suggest that talking and driving should be outlawed. Not everyone can do it, but most can. Not everyone can eat and drive, but most can. Not everyone can change a radio station and drive, but most can.

Date: 10/07/09 07:33
Author: Tominde

This is not a quiet zone. The train was westbound had already passed a series of crossings 1/4 mile to the east, but the engineer still saw her and sounded the horn. She must have been very heavy into a conversation. Feel bad for the person on the other end of the call too.

Tom

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0572 seconds