Home Open Account Help 222 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Past and Present Reading Terminal

Date: 10/16/09 19:38
Past and Present Reading Terminal
Author: RDG630

Back in 1972 Reading Company Silverliners on the right and Budd RDC cars on the left await their departure from the Reading Terminal Train Shed at 12th & Market Streets in downtown Philadelphia. The stub end terminal was replaced by the Market Street East underground station when a center city commuter tunnel linked former PRR and RDG lines. Luckily the train shed was not demolished but became part of the Pennsylvania Convention Center. Note in the March 5, 2009 photo silver strips are in the terrazza floor marking the former tracks and the bumping posts can be seen near the entrance gates. This space is used as a ballroom in the new facility. Built in 1893 the shed was once the home to steam and later diesel powered trains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/09 19:39 by RDG630.

Date: 10/16/09 20:00
Re: Past and Present Reading Terminal
Author: Mgoldman

Nice! Sad Philly lost a rather rare trainshed.

/Mitch

Date: 10/16/09 20:06
Author: lne655

The trainshed remains, the trains are gone.

Date: 10/17/09 03:48
Author: colehour

Doesn't the Terminal now host a bustling marketplace? I recall visiting it some years ago. My brother lives along SEPTA's R2 line.

Date: 10/17/09 04:19
Author: chuchubob

colehour Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Doesn't the Terminal now host a bustling
> marketplace? I recall visiting it some years ago.
> My brother lives along SEPTA's R2 line.

Reading Terminal Market is still there and is very busy.
My grandfather used to bring goodies home from Reading Terminal Market sixty years ago.
I eat lunch there whenever I'm in the area.

Date: 10/17/09 07:06
Author: rresor

Reading Terminal was elevated above street level,reached by a viaduct (the 9th Street Branch). Under the track level, at street grade, was (is) the Reading Terminal Market. The market actually predates construction of the terminal; when RDG built the station, space was provided for the market. It's definitely worth a visit, then go upstairs to take a look at the trainshed, which is intact and serves as the Grand Ballroom for the convention center.

The headhouse building (former HQ of the Reading Company) is also intact. The upper floors now contain rooms that are part of the Marriott hotel across the street (reached by a pedestrian bridge). The street entrance to the building looks much as it did when the building still served as a railroad station, and it is possible to go up the escalators -- just as I did to catch trains -- to the track level to enter the trainshed. It's a good job of preservation, and as far as I'm aware, the last surviving balloon trainshed in North America.

Date: 10/17/09 07:23
Author: RuleG

To add to rresor comments, not only is it good job of preservation, but there is also a kiosk explaining the history of the Reading Terminal at the entrance to the ballroom.

While I assume access is restricted when an event is being held at the Convention Center, at other times, the ballroom is accessible to the public. I've never had a problem getting in and looking around during my visits to Philadelphia.

Date: 10/17/09 16:29
Author: Pumbaamd

Is perhaps part of that kiosk remnants of the old ticket counter? In its day, that ticket counter was very modern and stylish.
Rick

Date: 10/17/09 18:38
Author: Gonut1

Pumbaa,
Remember the shoeshines in the men's room and the pay toilets? The grunginess and signs warning not to take photographs? I'm gald someone ignored those signs so there could be a before picture!
Gonut

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0324 seconds