Home Open Account Help 390 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Jesup, GA

Date: 02/06/10 18:14
Jesup, GA
Author: NS4271

Is Jesup, Ga. a good place to railfan these days? Thanks.

Date: 02/06/10 19:03
Re: Jesup, GA
Author: srman

Looked like a nice little town when I passed thru there about 3 weeks ago.Like Folkston they've built a railfan platform along with a scanner.Caught two trains in the 30 minutes I was there before heading on.

Date: 02/06/10 19:11
Author: RFandPFan

There is obviously more traffic at Folkston, but Jesup is a nice place to sit and watch trains. The depot has been gutted and is supposedly being rebuilt, but I haven't seen much activity on the building in a long time. If you have wifi, there is usually an open network by the Chamber of Commerce and the area is covered by ATCS. Afternoons/early evenings are usually pretty good. There are restrooms in an air conditioned trailer next to the station. Plenty of food places around. You won't be hassled by anyone. Monitor NS so you can hear if anything is coming on their line to Brunswick. There is a daily NS local from Macon, some local switching and occasional grain trains. CSX has intermodals, Amtraks, mixed freights and a few coal trains that go that way.

Date: 02/06/10 20:07
Author: K3HX

Ditto to the post from RF&P.

The gazebo may have Wi-Fi by now. I was there about a year ago and there was talk of installing
a node there.

The folks in the Chamber of Commerce building will be pleased to meet y'all and help you with maps,
local merchant information or assistance in locating your multi-zillion dollar widget factory.

For those who are hams, drop in the computer store across the street from the gazebo. Jim. the proprietor, is a great guy.

Be Well,

Tim Colbert K3HX

Date: 02/07/10 08:20
Author: NS4271

Thanks for the Jesup,GA. information. I do appreciate it and now will plan to stop off there on my way to Florida.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0351 seconds