Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX Double Stack at Voorheesville NY 3/20/10

Date: 03/21/10 14:43
CSX Double Stack at Voorheesville NY 3/20/10
Author: JPB

EB CSX Double Stack passes location of the former diamond with D&H Albany branch in Voorheesville (rusted rails at left) on a beautiful 1st day of spring 2010. This train is moving slowly as it is following what looked to be an ethanol train into Selkirk yard. Perhaps 10 seconds later, a wb manifest passed by wb on the distant track (I'm not sure if it's called track 1 as a couple miles west, one track passes over the other over on a double bridge over NYS Rte 20...a remnant of the NYC days).

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/21/10 15:01
Re: CSX Double Stack at Voorheesville NY 3/20/10
Author: jukeman5391

Sweet HD!!!

Date: 03/21/10 19:23
Author: CR6444

That eastbound stack was Q162. (Syracuse-Kearny)

The Selkirk Branch (as it's called) is a very busy stretch of branch between Selkirk to Hoffmann's (QC169). There are a lot of great places you can find to take photos there. The "one track over the other" is called the Fuller's Flyover. and theres a reason for that in order to reduce tonnage when coming out of Selkirk.

CR

JPB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> EB CSX Double Stack passes location of the former
> diamond with D&H Albany branch in Voorheesville
> (rusted rails at left) on a beautiful 1st day of
> spring 2010. This train is moving slowly as it is
> following what looked to be an ethanol train into
> Selkirk yard. Perhaps 10 seconds later, a wb
> manifest passed by wb on the distant track (I'm
> not sure if it's called track 1 as a couple miles
> west, one track passes over the other over on a
> double bridge over NYS Rte 20...a remnant of the
> NYC days).

Date: 03/22/10 08:23
Author: JPB

CR6444 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That eastbound stack was Q162. (Syracuse-Kearny)
>
> The Selkirk Branch (as it's called) is a very busy
> stretch of branch between Selkirk to Hoffmann's
> (QC169). There are a lot of great places you can
> find to take photos there. The "one track over the
> other" is called the Fuller's Flyover. and theres
> a reason for that in order to reduce tonnage when
> coming out of Selkirk.
>
> CR
>
Thanks for the train ID. BTW, I've not heard this explanation for this unusual RR track arrangement (plus I thought NYC was the Water Level Route where tonnage reduction wasn't an issue?) What I read some time ago was that west of Hoffman's, where the 2 track Selkirk branch joins from the south the 2 track passenger main, the design goal was to have eb freights run on the left-hand freight track (ie the northernmost freight track) adjacent to the eb passenger track, where trains ran right-hand. This would avoid the situation where 90+mph passenger trains passed opposing 30mph freights at 120mph closing speeds. The flyover at Fullers allowed the eb freights to fly over to south side for entrance into Selkirk's receiving yard.

Aerial photos:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=r3mv808v2yq3&scene=18521357&lvl=1&sty=b&sp=Point.r3mmr88v38d3_Fullers%2C%20NY____&where1=Fullers%2C%20NY

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=42.72521697860948~-73.95951936048561&lvl=15&sty=h&sp=Point.r3mmr88v38d3_Fullers%2C%20NY____

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/10 08:44 by JPB.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0476 seconds