Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Heartland Corridor official opening

Date: 09/04/10 06:38
Heartland Corridor official opening
Author: richs

The ribbon cutting ceremony/event is taking place Sept. 9 either at or very near the Cowan tunnel outside of Radford. The first revenue double stack will run west. Interestingly not much has leaked out of NS about this very private and by special invitation only event & lunch. I do know the Lawmen band will be there. I am speculating though, how they're going to get their guests to the site. I understand the actual tunnel has no easy access, although I don't actually know. Never worked east of the Buchanan branch. And I do know motor coaches will be transporting guests from Roanoke. Any word on the street on this. It's been an interesting engineering project to follow since the original initiative study from Marshall U. Mmmm... wonder of the OCS will be there?
Rich S

Date: 09/04/10 12:13
Re: Heartland Corridor official opening
Author: photoguycookin

OCS to drop off officials and what not at the site, set in siding outside the tunnel to allow stack to pass, while tents are set up for the media as well.

Date: 09/04/10 15:13
Author: MrMichael

Man those F units are racking up the miles this year! And there are plenty more trips to go this year.

Date: 09/04/10 16:09
Author: emd_run8

I think getting guests to either portal to witness the train entering or exiting would be a trick. It's single track. The East end is just after crossing a bridge going directly into the tunnel, and the West end is also hard to get to. There is a place to get the OCS out of the way at either end if the leads to the arsenal are still usable. This will be interesting. I would really like to see how close to the portal they get the guests. Wonder why they picked Cowan?
Tommy

Date: 09/04/10 18:15
Author: photoguycookin

cowan is first tunnel on the corridor work

Date: 09/05/10 20:26
Author: BobE

They are bussing guests from Roanoke (not bussing as in kissing, but rather, traveling in a motor coach).

Cowan is the oldest and longest tunnel in the project, also the first one that received work. It probably also helps that it's the closest one to Roanoke.....no one really wants to try to get to Williamson! (Certain parties excepted <cough> <cough>)

BobE

Date: 09/06/10 07:28
Author: Chessie1963

Question: will the opening of the double stack route have any impact on the west virginia secondary? NS has invested a lot of money in track work the line recently and it only has 3-4 trains a day right now. It does not really add up.

Thoughts?

Date: 09/07/10 04:18
Author: richs

goxmit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Question: will the opening of the double stack
> route have any impact on the west virginia
> secondary? NS has invested a lot of money in
> track work the line recently and it only has 3-4
> trains a day right now. It does not really add
> up.
>
> Thoughts?

Very little (if any).
Richs

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.05 seconds