Home Open Account Help 160 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > The Pokey???

Date: 09/15/10 17:09
The Pokey???
Author: k37490

What line is known as the"POKEY". Where does it start and end? Also what are some of the better places to sit/watch or chase trains,name of towns and the radio freq. used? thanks for any info. Rick

Date: 09/15/10 17:37
Re: The Pokey???
Author: BobE

I guess I'm on a roll answering questions about this line, so here goes.

Official start and end points....Kellysville, WV and Portsmouth, OH.

Significant towns....Bluefield, Welch, Iaeger, Williamson and Kenova in West Virginia, listed from east to west.

Sit and watch points.....hmmmm....I guess those five would be good starting points.

Chasing....please refer to the thread by M-636 below.

Freqs.....ya know, I ought to know this one but I don't. I just scan the full AAR spectrum because I'm too lazy to switch my scanner around every time I go somewhere different.

Other things to know......there aren't many places to stay. Bluefield, Welch, Williamson have motels. That's it. Up near Kenova, you need to go to Huntington WV or towards Ashland KY. There aren't a lot of places to eat aside from places in these towns. There's a few small burgs with gas stations, but the basic chow of railfans, fast food, is scarce....basically, there aren't a lot of people in southern West Virginia, not a lot of travelers either. If you're thinking of going there, make reservations in advance. Carry at least a West Virginia Delorme (I don't have a GPS, but I assume you can get what you need off a GPS, too). Your cell phone will only work in a couple of places like Bluefield and Kenova. No people and no travelers = no cell towers.

Getting great pictures is easy....getting to the Pokey and dealing with the lack of creature comforts is hard.

Good luck!

BobE

Date: 09/15/10 18:29
Author: DJ-12

BobE Wrote:

>
> Freqs.....ya know, I ought to know this one but I
> don't. I just scan the full AAR spectrum because
> I'm too lazy to switch my scanner around every
> time I go somewhere different.
>
160.190 or 161.190 is the road channel, in the Iager-Bluefield section I can't remember which. 160.440 is used on the nearby ex VGN lines.

Date: 09/15/10 18:42
Author: BobE

PittsburghMike Wrote:

> 160.190 or 161.190 is the road channel, in the
> Iager-Bluefield section I can't remember which.
> 160.440 is used on the nearby ex VGN lines.

I thought they changed the main line channel a couple of years ago....I skimmed through one of my Yahoo lists and it says 160.650 is one of the main line channels. Wouldn't hurt to plug in the two PittsburghMike mentions, plus this one.

BobE

Date: 09/15/10 20:40
Author: mkostecky

k37490 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What line is known as the"POKEY". Where does it
> start and end? Also what are some of the better
> places to sit/watch or chase trains,name of towns
> and the radio freq. used? thanks for any info.
> Rick

"The Pokey" refers to the Pocahontas Division on the N.S.
Named for the Pocahontas Coal fields of West Virginia that it operates in.

Date: 09/15/10 21:17
Author: kpcmcpkva

The Elk horn Inn in Landgraff, WV is an interesting bed and breakfast that is very friendly to rail fans who stay. If you reserve the right rooms on the east side of the inn, west bounds will light your room at night as the go by. elkhorninnwv.com will take you to home page. Stayed overnight last fall, wife wants to go back

Date: 09/16/10 09:00
Author: halfmoonharold

Part of the nickname might be related to the slow speeds over the hills and curves of the Pocahontas Div.

Date: 09/16/10 22:31
Author: railnuts

I second the idea about staying at the Elkhorn Inn. Alittle pricy but worth the stay. The mainline is right across the road. Even if its rainning u can shoot from the front porch. Dan does the cooking and will cookup almost anything u want. I think he even has ATCS setup for the area.

Fred

Date: 09/18/10 15:47
Author: tq-07fan

Radio Freq Portsmouth to Williamson is 161.250.

The Pokey is a can't loose for scenery from Portsmouth all the way east. What other people have said is true, there aren't as many food type places around the area. Not mentioned is nearby Gilbert (on the VGN) for food, and Princeton for food and hotels. Of course you can always sleep in your car. I carry a Delorme WV map. I also pick up a free WV state map which is updated every year and also shows the railroads fairly accurately. You can get the WV state map at the Info center in between exits 8 and 11 on the eastbound I-64. There is also one on NB I-77 between Bluefield and Princeton. US 52 is mostly two lane but with many hills and curves but a good road. State routes vary from good to really narrow like WV SR 71 so if a sign says trucks avoid the route they mean it. Also eat at Tudor's Biscuit World for breakfast or lunch if you see one. Have Fun!

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0484 seconds