Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Oct. Week on VRS Conn River District

Date: 10/22/10 17:46
Oct. Week on VRS Conn River District
Author: KevinB

During the past week or so, the weather has been crappy more than not up here in the good ole Upper Valley/Northeast Kingdom; however I was able to take advantage of a few moves and a day of almost solid sunshine! First up – in the heart of a downpour on October 15, the crew of the Claremont Concord works the WACR yard in White River Jct.

<Photo 1>

Then on Saturday, October 16, I just captured a nice roster view of the VTR GP40-2LW 310 as it was bathed in a brief moment of sunshine.

<Photo 2>

On Tuesday, October 19, with partly sunny skies forecast and knowledge of the VTR 310 being on the north end of the Conn River District of the WACR (Washington County Railroad), Brennen and I rolled that direction to head it off on the southbound trek with the Newport-White River Jct. train – NPWJ. First stop was Orleans, where a trip south of the Ethan Allen plant caught the NPWJ in nice morning sunlight.

<Photo 3>

Date: 10/22/10 18:13
Re: Oct. Week on VRS Conn River District
Author: agrafton

Nice Photos,I partial to B&W, good job!

alan, a grafton

Date: 10/22/10 19:13

I have many locations already documented on the WACR, so I was being more selective about the shots I’d take this day of the 310. Next up was Barton, where a nice scene was made even nicer by the arrival of the NPWJ.

<Photo 4>

North of West Burke, the NPWJ rolls through some rugged Vermont wilderness. Where I was planted for the photo, multiple sets of fresh bear tracks were evident in the mud and ground. Never did run into ‘em, but did manage to walk away with a nice view of the NPWJ.

<Photo 5>

On into West Burke for a photo that would include the old depot. I figured with lighting that a distant shot with the big lens would be worth the effort.

<Photo 6>

Date: 10/22/10 19:21

Then south of West Burke – the NPWJ is framed up by the pair of signals at mile 27 that still stand a testament to what role this line once played in Vermont railroading.

<Photo 7>

Immediately after taking the signal shot I hopped back in the truck and as I pulled down Route 5, I captured a shot in the truck mirror. I horizontally flipped it in Photoshop, but otherwise – “objects in mirror are closer than they appear”!

<Photo 8>

Route 114 in Lyndonville would be the next perch and the NPWJ rolls across Bridge 33.6 on the way into town.

<Photo 9>

Date: 10/22/10 19:24

Passing the old depot in Lyndonville.

<Photo 10>

The WACR NPWJ train heads south past the Weidmann Diagnostic Solutions Inc, just north of St. Johnsbury, with VTR GP40-2LW 310 leading the 13-car train.

<Photo 11>

As the train heads for St. Johnsbury it rolls through some rural farmland adjacent the Passumpsic River in St. Johnsbury Center.

<Photo 12>

Date: 10/22/10 19:28

Finally rolling into St. Johnsbury and past the old factory complex that now serves as home to Ramunto’s Pizza.

<Photo 13>

A shot with three bridges – the rail bridge is visible over the Passumpsic, then the roadway bridge to the right and distantly there is an I-91 bridge overhead as the NPWJ continues southbound at East Barnet.

<Photo 14>

And I terminated this particular chase at Barnet as the train had work to do here and I had work to do at home this day.

<Photo 15>

Date: 10/22/10 23:03
Author: jmw

Great series of image.

JMW

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0832 seconds