Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Train novice looking for info

Date: 04/13/11 12:12
Train novice looking for info
Author: MattyMo

Hey Trainorders fans, I am a novice at trainspotting but would like to get in the ranks of the fans of this site - I am a volunteer fireman and consider myself an expert on antique fire engines but still limited on train engines - I am a fan of trains and know the difference between a hopper, gondola and tank car. I know what the basic SP, BN, NS, GT, CSX and UP stand for but I'm interested in the dangers to a fire company that would respond to a derailment. I am interested in knowing if there are cutaways in any books of the engines and other hazards that are common to trains other then the obvious tank car problems

Date: 04/13/11 12:29
Re: Train novice looking for info
Author: toledopatch

I suspect the main thing you have to fear from a locomotive would be the "live" electricity, especially in AC-traction units. As you may already know, locomotives use diesel engines to turn electric generators for electric power, rather than to provide direct compressive energy through a transmission.

The greatest threat for mass casualty incidents, however, are the Toxic Inhalation Hazard chemicals that some railcars carry. There are also the explosion-risk/flammable cargoes, too. But since you make reference to tank-car danger, I'll presume you're familiar with that, too.

Date: 04/13/11 15:11
Author: MattyMo

Would it be best to avoid the trucks and is there a good cutaway book showing the insides of newer trains

Date: 04/13/11 16:13
Author: SOO6617

Stay out of the main electrical cabinets where the inverters are located on modern AC Drive locomotives, there are capacitors that will hold a full charge which is more than enough to kill. Only a properly trained Railroad Electrician should attempt to discharge them.

Date: 04/13/11 18:53
Author: mkostecky

MattyMo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Trainorders fans, I am a novice at
> trainspotting but would like to get in the ranks
> of the fans of this site - I am a volunteer
> fireman and consider myself an expert on antique
> fire engines but still limited on train engines -
> I am a fan of trains and know the difference
> between a hopper, gondola and tank car. I know
> what the basic SP, BN, NS, GT, CSX and UP stand
> for but I'm interested in the dangers to a fire
> company that would respond to a derailment. I am
> interested in knowing if there are cutaways in any
> books of the engines and other hazards that are
> common to trains other then the obvious tank car
> problems

You should consult your Fire Companies officers for proper training.
There are numerous state and county resources available for proper training of Firefighters in this area, often it is in conjunction with the railroads too.
If you have not had any training for Railroad related incidents and there are railroads in your coverage district.
I suggest you ask your Chief to look into it!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/11 18:59 by mkostecky.

Date: 04/13/11 23:05
Author: Bath_wildcat

Try TRANSCAER. They hold training of excactly that type with big compaines, firefighters, and railroads.

Go here-http://www.transcaer.com/

You might want your fire cheif to look into this. Its a win/win.

Date: 04/14/11 11:07
Author: OHfrog

The railroads that go through your community would be happy to put on classes for you..They would even bring in engines, tank cars etc along with their operational procedures..Some of the better training you will have received.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.047 seconds