Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Mississippi Delta RR

Date: 06/22/11 08:37
Mississippi Delta RR
Author: DNRY122

I'm planning to visit the Blues Museum in Clarksdale, Miss. I understand there's also the engine facility for the Mississippi Delta RR in the vicinity, and that MSDR is the modern version of the old "Yellow Dog" line celebrated in song and story. Has anybody been there? How often do they operate? Friendly, hostile or indifferent to railfans?

Date: 06/22/11 15:00
Re: Mississippi Delta RR
Author: K3HX

I've visited this place albeit many years ago.

I've spent a considerable portion of my adult life in the deep south and have visited scores of shortline operations in the area.

Some advice.

Please do not consider the following to be condescension, just some tips to make things easier in the event you are not familiar with the customs of that area of the country.

Politeness will take you a long way. When speaking to someone older than you or someone in authority (like the person who will grant permission) "sir" and "ma'am" will be the preferred form of address.

Ask first and take your time talking with the folk. Ask about family, hunting and fishing. If you don't hunt or fish, stick to family. Slow down. The pace of life is not as hectic as, for example, in the northeast. Avoid politics and religion.

William Faulkner is a local hero. If you are familiar with his works, you are in for a treat driving through the area. Also, a viewing of "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" will help you get into the mood.

Food, always a concern for the railfan....smile!

Do try the local cuisine. Church dinners are not to be missed. Certified grandmothers doing what they do best. In this area, the preparation of fried chicken approaches a religious practice. You are unlikely to ever have better fried chicken than at a church dinner in the deep south. Also consider the regional chains in the area such as "Church's" and "Zaxbe's."

Be Well,

Tim Colbert K3HX

Date: 06/22/11 15:42
Author: DNRY122

Thanks for the advice. I try to be polite under most circumstances, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded. And I'm probably older than most railroad employees, but addressing a supervisor as "sir" might be a good idea. And, yes, I've seen "O Brother Where Art Thou" and even have the CD of the soundtrack. If anyone mentions Johnny Cash--I could probably sing "Folsom Prison Blues" without a cheat sheet.

Date: 06/22/11 16:58
Author: BobE

I've passed through Clarksdale a couple of times in the last year but not been fortunate enough to catch the railroad operating. There is indeed an enginehouse just a couple of blocks from the Delta Blues Museum......it is near the restored Y&MV station. If you call up a map on your computer, you'll see a sharply-curved bit of track running south to northeast on the east side of downtown. That's where the enginehouse is. The museum is just to the west, more central to downtown.

Not sure if Morgan Freeman will be in town when you are there, but he owns property in the area. I wonder if there's a John Lee Hooker museum/house to tour? (I just picked up a 10-CD box set of his stuff off amazon a couple of months called "Portrait".....wowza!)

If you haven't been to the B.B. King Museum in Indianola, that's well worth the hour's drive south and three hours to tour. Columbus & Greenville runs right behind the museum, eastbound train should be through in the noon-2 p.m. time frame if they're still running on the same schedule as the last time I chased it (spring 2010).

BobE

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0571 seconds