Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > For ChuChuBob re: Grain Loader

Date: 07/27/11 19:50
For ChuChuBob re: Grain Loader
Author: Out_Of_Service

this post is from a thread i posted a cpl days ago about the south jersey lines and commodities ... Bob had mentioned grain was a major source of revenue for the railroad and it is ... grain is one of the few commodities that Conrail actually hauls loads north to Camden and out of the state ... others are sand from the ex CNJ C&M branch and chemicals from the Penns Grove Branch ... in these photos are the corn stalks the grain laoder and cars waiting to be loaded ... this branch is the ex CNJ Deerfield Branch that goes north another 2 miles ... the main shipper was Seabrook Farms which is now Clement-Park altho Seabrook has a facility in between the grain loader and the C-P at the end of the line

Photo #1 corn stalks that will go to the loader

Photo #2 the grain loader

Photo #3 cars waiting to be loaded behind the loader

Date: 07/27/11 19:52
Re: For ChuChuBob re: Grain Loader

Photo #4 grain prices for the day

Photo #5 Deerfield branch going off to the right connecting to the ex CNJ now W&W extention to the one time Owens illinois glass plant ... one big revenue grabber a few of the south jersey lines have aquired is storing loaded LPG tank cars until needed

Photo #6 the diamond was once a stop sign crossing known as COHAN ... the line crossing is the ex PRSL Bridgeton Branch which parraleled the CNJ south of here for a cpl miles terminating at a staion in downtown Bridgeton

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/11 20:16 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 07/27/11 20:12
Author: DJ-12

Amazing. I remember when corn used to trade around $2/bushel.

Date: 07/27/11 20:18
Author: stevelv

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> grain prices for the day

A little OT but why is Barley so low? Are we Americans not drinking enough Beer? Good bet a price increase will coincide with the start of the NFL season :)

Date: 07/27/11 20:42

Photo #7 turn around view from crossing ... W&W engine facilities ...tracks off to the right go the ex CNJ C&M Division to the sand loading plants down in the pinelands

Photo #8 remnants of the ex PRSL Bridgeton Branch which terminates about 1/2 mile past the tank cars ... it was being used to unload stone but now LPG tank cars are stored there

Photo #9 diamond crossing in Vineland of ex CNJ Southern Division with the then PRSL Millville branch now Conrail Vineland industrial ... these 2 diamonds are only 2 left in south jersey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/11 20:59 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 07/27/11 21:15

Photo #10 shows the new connection built when Conrail was formed to access the ex CNJ (curving away to the right) from the ex PRSL(the route lined )here with the theory of running sand trains right to Camden ... but in practice the W&W clears north of the swtich behind me and reverses to head south to Millville where they yard the train in Millville yard and a Conrail yard crew MI-21 using MI-61's power makes up MI-61's train to Camden ...

Photo #11 end of the line which is a mile from the diamond for the southern portion of ex CNJ going north towards Winslow

Photo #12 reason for the diamond across the Conrail Vineland Industrial is the KIMBALL Glass Plant that recieves covered hoppers of material for making their product

ok that's the end of my lousy unfocused picture posting ... i'll take it to have it looked at

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/11 09:48 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 07/28/11 05:43
Author: CSXT_8437

Does the W&W service industries on the ex-CNJ Southern Division or does SRNJ come south from Winslow? Does Conrail still own any of the former CNJ in South Jersey?

Date: 07/28/11 06:01
Author: cjvrr

Heck I live in NJ and didn't realize we actually ship grain out of state by train!

In extreme north western NJ still a few dairy farms left.

In Morris County where I work the two largest farms are raising goats, for the milk / cheese and a an alpaca farm with a few hundred head of alpaca. Couple of orchards left too, but dwindling each year.

CV the civil E in NJ

Date: 07/28/11 06:09
Author: raisin

Nice, and unusual, pictures of America's most densely populated state!

Date: 07/28/11 09:45

CSXT_8437 Wrote:
> Does the W&W service industries on the ex-CNJ
> Southern Division or does SRNJ come south from
> Winslow? Does Conrail still own any of the former
> CNJ in South Jersey?

SRNJ uses about 5 miles of the ex CNJ ... the use about 2 miles north of Winslow where they store cars mostly LPG tank and about 3 miles south of Winslow to an asphalt plant that takes delivery of stone ...NS 66K brings stone from Birdsboro to Winslow usually in 50-60 cars trains which SRNJ use to split up between the Winslow plant(not sure if they deliver to this one these days) and a stone unloading facility in Pleasantville ... SRNJ has no connection to W&W on the south end from Winslow altho the track has been worked on and a bridge near Collins Lakes ... the CNJ is torn up and partially removed somewhere south of Collins Lakes to Vineland where the photo of the American Crane is ... the 3 remaining sand plants served by rail(W&W )these days in south jersey are US Silica and Hanson in Dividing Creek and Unimin which is tightly tucked in the woods with no public access unless i trek down the tracks about 3 miles further down to the now end of the ex CNJ C&M (Cumberland & Mauricetown) branch ... back in the early 20th century this branch and the ex PRSL branch on the other side of the Maurice River which i'll post about later were heavy haulers of oysters from the Delaware Bay ... one year there was some kind of desease that virtually wiped out the oyster population in Delaware Bay and the oysters never recovered to that level again ... Conrail does the switching in the Vineland area and owns the Vineland Sec north of the diamond and Vineland Industrial south of the diamond to Millville and the Vineland area ex CNJ which is about 1 mile north and 3 miles south from the diamond ... W&W there owns the rest to Bridgeton and south of there and they also own the ex PRSL south of Millville yard ... heres photos of a cpl businesses in the Vineland area served by Conrail

Photo #13 Korr LLC handles rolls of inbound paper for local distribution ... 2nd time i was here and no cars on the siding ... usually all 3 bays have a car

Photo 14&15 MI-61 from Camden handles 60ft.BN and modified Cryo-Trans refer cars to Safeway ... this siding is hardly used any more there's another on\e at the far end of the building with a trailing point switch going in the direction im facing that Safeway uses for delivery to a secondary building

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/11 10:33 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 07/28/11 10:12

another customer that does a hefty business is National Refrigerant in Rosenahayn 1/2 way between Vineland and Bridgeton below is a link and some photos not really photo accessable ... they pack a lot of cars in that tight space

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qkd2f98r5pkr&lvl=18&dir=0&sty=b&form=LMLTCC

Photo # 16&17 limited photo access to the plant

Photo #19 cars on siding waiting to be delivered to the plant ... this is the location where i saw the guy in the roadster that i took a vid of and posted on one of my threads below

Date: 07/28/11 10:25

and this is the train that brings traffic to and from Camden ... Conrail train MI-61 ... they are usually in Camden by 10 pm and returning after they make up their train between 12am and 1am ... it's the only Conrail road train hauling in and out of Camden every day that doesn't orginate in Camden ... they sign up in Millville ... in photos 19&20 are where i took the picture of the "HOT BABE" in my thread down below ... she was right behind me when i took those pictures ... just wanted to mention that it was related albeit rather indirectly

Photo #19 headend power of MI-61 sitting across from the yard office which for some reason i didn't incoporate into the photo

Photo #20 middle of the train about 15 cars back from the 2 headend cars ...cars in the yard blocked my view of the complete train

Photo #21 south end of Millville yard and the rear end of MI-61 about 3/4's of a mile from the head end ... pretty good haul for Conrail these days from what was dwindling carloads a few years ago ... covered hoppers off to the right are for Wheaton glass which i'll get into later in things around and south of Millville

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/11 19:04 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 07/28/11 10:42

cjvrr Wrote:
> Heck I live in NJ and didn't realize we actually
> ship grain out of state by train!
>
> In extreme north western NJ still a few dairy
> farms left.
>
> In Morris County where I work the two largest
> farms are raising goats, for the milk / cheese and
> a an alpaca farm with a few hundred head of
> alpaca. Couple of orchards left too, but
> dwindling each year.
>
> CV the civil E in NJ

this area south of Mantua down rt's 77 to Bridgeton and 45 to Salem are nothing but farmland ... was good to see the Garden State turned Condo State with active growing fields ... farmers on tractors ... farm silos ... farm animals grazing ... there's even a Rodeo in Cowtown where people come from all over the tri state area to watch cowboys ... once the area of south jersey grew tons and tons of tomato's for Campbell Soup when they had their processing facilites in Camden ... suburbia hasnt caught up to this area yet and hopefully it won't for a long time to come

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1223 seconds