Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > tunnel tuesday

Date: 09/20/11 02:09
tunnel tuesday
Author: photoguycookin

another tunnel on the north bend rail trail in WV, ex B&0 clarksburg to parkersburg.

Date: 09/20/11 12:09
Re: tunnel tuesday
Author: shoretower

That breaks my heart. I was through that tunnel in 1979 on the Amtrak train to Cincinnati. That was one of the many, really stupid CSX abandonments in the 1980s.

Date: 09/21/11 05:08
Author: knotch8

Done to prove a point. CSX said we don't need that through route; we have alternate routes. Lots of folks protested. CSX pulled up the middle 15 or 20 miles, just to prove a point.

Date: 09/21/11 12:12
Author: sandpatch25

I have a link for you to see: http://www.wvbike.org/west_fork_trail/tunnel.html. According from my background knowlege about the former Western Maryland Railway, it was originally its Durban Subdivision, south of Elkins, WV. I would like to know whether or not your photos are up-dates of the tunnel's condition or a similar tunnel elsewhere. My guess is that it probably is not the some one.

Also, if the same one, I have read that the one discussed in the link is referred to as "Tunnel 2". After having hunted high and low for this tunnel on the web, I have not found any sign of a tunnel named "Tunnel 1". Have you incountered any other tunnels that could have been referred to by that title (Tunnel 1)?

Matthew Jablonski
Bethesda, MD.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/11 12:48 by sandpatch25.

Date: 09/21/11 13:25

yes! there is an abandoned tunnel on a quarter mile stretch west of cairo, i dont have the map with me but im sure i will figure out the milepost soon if you need it. sadly i dident get any pics of the portal , but i did see it, and there was alot of overgrowth, i shouldeve took pics anyway. but no one can see it, it was kind of tough to look for.

Date: 09/21/11 14:14
Author: sandpatch25

Are you saying that the tunnel that you did not photograph was "Tunnel 1" and, also, is the tunnel that you photographed on the site was the same as the one on my link? I don't need the mile post number because I'm just interested in the history about railroads in the area, but thank you for offering it.

What is interesting about you saying that there is an abandoned tunnel in Cairo, WV. is that there is no sign of any right-of-way near that area, especially since I am looking at a very detailed DeLorme map. This is the first time that I have heard of an unmarked right-of-way on a map made by DeLorme.

Matthew Jablonski

Date: 09/21/11 16:10

the tunnel pic on the wvbike.org is on a diff trail, now im not sure if its the same one that goes to clarksburg then further west, i doubt it, but im just saying that i think the first tunnel on the trail is the abandoned tunnel between cairo and parkersburg

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0804 seconds