Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Help on Train movements at Sand Patch for fall.

Date: 10/04/11 12:00
Help on Train movements at Sand Patch for fall.
Author: SandPatch1

Thanks in advance,
which is the better time at SA, morning or afternoon, making the fall trip in about a week and just wondering how all the tunnel and signal work is affecting trains moving over patch. I know the Magnolia area is under cerfew and hard hats so will stay around SA but just want to know if traffic is way down during the shorter every daylight photo time.
thanks
dave j

Date: 10/04/11 13:37
Re: Help on Train movements at Sand Patch for fall.
Author: mjbobb

Mornings are still busy and again late afternoon into the night.

Date: 10/04/11 18:07
Author: ljs252

Hey Dave,

I have been up to Sand Patch 6 or so times since late August when I came back to school in Morgantown, WV. First off, if you want to do Sand Patch well, you should really try to do a full dawn to dusk day. And you should try to get there as early as possible as oftentimes CSX will run several freights around daybreak. There will be long lulls at a couple points during the day but that is how the mountain runs. This is what I have noticed in the past month or so when I have been up there on weekends: (Note things could be diff. during the week when more trackwork is going on)

Eastbounds: Manifests-Q394- usually runs early am, sometimes before the sun comes up. You may get him in early am light if your lucky. This train usually runs very heavy and may have foreign power as well.
-Q358- seems to be pretty consistent light am-early pm.
-Q368- usually mid to late afternoon. May not run till after dark.
-Q641- I have caught this train 3-4 times early pm on the hill and other days not seen it at all.
-Q352- usually runs after dark.

Autoracks- They run 216, 226, and 276 east and sometimes a 296 or extra sections of the other trains. They all usually depart Connellsville early pm to late evening. You should get at least 2 in daylight. A few Sat.'s ago I caught 4 eb autos all in daylight.

Intermodal-Q138- Is a consistent mid-afternoon train. I don't think it runs on Sat. however. The other intermodal(q016?) runs after dark. I think there is another intermodal (q116?) that runs a couple days during the week.

Extras (Coal, ethanol, etc)- I have only seen one EB coal train up there in the past month. Surprising to me, maybe they run them during the week or after dark?? I have seen a couple trains sitting on the Shaw mine lead waiting for crews. You may get a grain or ethanol extra if your lucky.

Date: 10/04/11 18:35
Author: ljs252

Ok I'm splitting this message up b/c I'm too long-winded sorry.

Westbounds: Wb's, from what I've seen, are not as consistent as the eb's. I think a lot of this has to do with how backed up and congested Cumberland is. That said, here is what I've noticed:

Manifests: -Q389- I usually see this train early to mid morning though sometimes it runs before the sun comes up. This train often runs with foreign power.
-Q353- Similiar to 389. It may run before the sun comes up but I have caught it several times early am-midday. You will know if you get this 1 b/c it carries a lot of steel coils and Maryland Midland cement hoppers. Often ferries power to Willard as well.
-Q359- You should get this one. I've seen him anywhere from late morning to mid-afternoon.
-Q375- Usually mid to late afternoon. Has been pretty consistent the past few times I've been up there.
-Q355 and Q640- I haven't caught either of these in daylight but, again, if Cumberland is backed up you may get them

Autoracks: They run 217, 249, and 261 west. I have caught 261 in the morning a couple times and other times I have caught him in the afternoon. I've seen 249 late afternoon as well. You should get at least 1 in daylight if your lucky you will get 2.

Intermodals: They run 137 and q015 west almost always before the sun comes up. Again, I think there is another 1 (Q005)? that runs a day or 2 during the week but I'm not sure what time of day it runs.

Extras: The most common extras are empty coal and ethanol trains. These can show up anytime.

I hope this wasn't too long. Again, this is what I have noticed during the times I have been up there since late August. And keep in mind I have only been up there on weekends. I'm sure its likely traffic runs different during the week with trackwork, work windows, etc. That being said, if you get up there early am on a weekend you should see a dozen or so freights unless its running really slow. Have fun.

-Luke

Date: 10/04/11 19:57
Author: burgman99

The Cumberland Sub curfew Sun - Thurs really plays a big part in the scheduling of trains going over the Patch especially for run through trains. The majority run here over night, even on days there is no curfew. So expect a lot of traffic in the early morning or late afternoon

Date: 10/05/11 06:44
Author: SandPatch1

thanks to all for the help,

been going for 20+ yrs but each year the traffic patterns are different due to trackwork somewhere.
SO much appreciate the local input for what is moving.
dave j

Date: 10/05/11 09:18
Author: mjbobb

Only trackwork going on west of Cumberland towards Pittsburgh is tunnel work on Brook tunnel on #1main east of Confluence,PA so they can easily run #2 main { the low grade} around it.

They are lowering the tracks at the Boston bridge in Versailes,PA just eats of Sinns near Mckeesport closing a track at a time and using the other. Doing this mostly during the week.

A rail gand was working but done now. There are ties laid along #1main up the Mt from Fairhope west to Mance nothing has starting yet on this.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0562 seconds