Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Trains in the street - Saratoga St., Newport, Ky. - a q

Date: 10/20/11 08:32
Trains in the street - Saratoga St., Newport, Ky. - a q
Author: DSPhoto3107

I was wondering if any of you guys know when the tracks (originally L&N) were removed that ran down the center of Saratoga St. in Newport, Ky. I have a photo of a DT&I train that I took there back in the 70's or 80's and It was one of several photos I submitted to Trains Magazine recently. They want to use it, but have asked if I could find out the month and year that the tracks were torn up. Limited research I have done shows it as approx. 1985, but I'd like to make sure that's right. I know it might not be possible to nail down the exact month, but I might get lucky. I think those tracks were part of the "L&N Wilder Main", that used to cross the C&O at NX Cabin and went down Saratoga street and across the Ohio River into Ohio.

I would appreciate any info anyone might be able to supply.

Many Thanks!

Dick Swaim
Cincinnati

Date: 10/20/11 09:42
Re: Trains in the street - Saratoga St., Newport, Ky. -
Author: cutboy2

Call the City of Newport. Weber

Date: 10/20/11 11:18
Author: Out_Of_Service

DSPhoto3107 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was wondering if any of you guys know when the
> tracks (originally L&N) were removed that ran down
> the center of Saratoga St. in Newport, Ky. I have
> a photo of a DT&I train that I took there back in
> the 70's or 80's and It was one of several photos
> I submitted to Trains Magazine recently. They
> want to use it, but have asked if I could find out
> the month and year that the tracks were torn up.
> Limited research I have done shows it as approx.
> 1985, but I'd like to make sure that's right. I
> know it might not be possible to nail down the
> exact month, but I might get lucky. I think those
> tracks were part of the "L&N Wilder Main", that
> used to cross the C&O at NX Cabin and went down
> Saratoga street and across the Ohio River into
> Ohio.
>
> I would appreciate any info anyone might be able
> to supply.
>
> Many Thanks!
>
> Dick Swaim
> Cincinnati

the L&N from Decoursey crossed the C&O at grade in Newport,Ky ran down Saratoga Street crossed the Ohio River Bridge that connected with the PRR at Oasis on the waterfront that used the Little Miami to the wye at Richmond ... at Oasis interlocking which was a foot of the bridge ramp in Cincy the L&N/PRR(DT&I had running rights) connection over the bridge connected with a line coming from the west via the waterfront and the street running in Cincinatti ... that line connected with Queensgate yard and the main that went west to Indianapolis via Shelbyville

here's some sites with great info on what you are looking for:

http://www.cincinnati-transit.net/ln.html

http://homepage.mac.com/jjakucyk/Transit1/ln/index.html

http://homepage.mac.com/jjakucyk/Transit1/prr/

Date: 10/20/11 14:47

Thanks mike....I already went over there-the city manager was not sure.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/20/11 14:58

Thanks for the info, out-of-service. Every little bit helps. It's good to have some of that history. I remember seeing some fairly good sized trains running through that area.

DS

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/20/11 17:13
Author: BobE

This topic came up for discussion at the KentuckyRailfan yahoo group in August. Probably submissions for the same article.

http://www.kentonlibrary.org/genphotos/viewPhoto.cfm?imagename=di76762

Linked photo shows RJ Corman workers lifting rail in September 1985.

BobE

Date: 10/22/11 09:56
Author: tq-07fan

The abandonment of the line through Newport and across the L & N Bridge (now known as the Purple People Bridge) certainly gets confused by many. I have seen it published as 1986, a plaque on the bridge shows 1987. The firsthand account from Dave Oroszi was that the train derailment on the approach to the bridge happened in 1984 and the line was not used after that. Thank you BobE for the link to the tracks being removed. I saw a set of light power go across the bridge when my dad was driving on Ft Washington Way / Columbia Pkwy on one of our trips to Cincinnati. Man, I wish I could go back to that day.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0617 seconds