Home Open Account Help 225 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Location and heritage help needed

Date: 11/20/11 08:21
Location and heritage help needed
Author: mully

Shot this unit back in May when I was traveling from Florida to Columbus Ga. It was at a small town in Ga. that I can't remember the name of and was at the offices by a feed mill. Can anyone shed some light on the name? Also does anyone know the heritage of this unit? Since its a high hood I am guessing Southern or N&W.

Thanks
Gary

Date: 11/20/11 08:43
Re: Location and heritage help needed
Author: ctillnc

GSWR is Georgia Southwestern, a G&W property. The photo looks like Dawson, Ga. but I'm not certain of that. 2880 is an ex-Southern GP38 originally delivered as Norfolk Southern 2001 in 1966.

Date: 11/20/11 09:10
Author: NSDash9

And to go a slight bit further, the unit was originally built with a low short hood and a single control stand with the short hood designated as the front. It was rebuilt by Southern Railway with a high short hood and the control stand was changed to the opposite side of the cab for long hood forward operation.

Chris Toth
NSDash9.com

Date: 11/20/11 12:04
Author: ctillnc

Small fuel tank and no dynamic brakes -- other clues that Southern didn't order these.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0376 seconds