Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Hard tp Believe on CSX with Amtrak

Date: 10/26/00 14:42
Hard tp Believe on CSX with Amtrak
Author: galen74

Sorry this post is so late. With the changes to the site, and my odd ball work hours… I haven't had time to get on.

Here are several hard to believe incidents from the world of CSX and Amtrak. First, Amtrak train #50, the eastbound Cardinal, departed Clifton Forge, VA only 10 minutes late. That would be considered great considering its reputation for running 3-5 hours late.
However, #50 arrived in Charlottesville, VA (about 100 miles to the east) 20 minutes early!!! The train made up 30 minutes going over CSX and had to sit and wait at Charlottesville!!! Several people almost missed this rare on-time departure. How did #50 make up so much time you ask???

Here is the second hard to believe incident… CSX is actually making MAJOR track repairs on the North Mountain Sub. The last Amtrak time table change took into account slower track speeds because of the poor trackage. Now that CSX has improved the right of way, the trains make faster times over the line. Believe it or not… its true.

Galen

Galen A. Wright
Lynchburg, Virginia
Business Phone: (804) 258-3044
Business Fax: (703) 783-8584
http://www.mindspring.com/~brc.nrhs/

Date: 10/26/00 14:46
RE: Hard tp Believe on CSX with Amtrak
Author: galen74

ooops... forgot to add that this was on Sunday, October 22, 2000.

Galen

Date: 10/26/00 14:52
Author: gcw

Repairs on the North Mountain Sub probably the result of getting slammed by the FRA inspections last year. I can't explain why Amtrak 50 was nearly on time, since I've never witnessed that event.

Date: 10/26/00 20:33
RE: Hard to Believe on CSX with Amtrak
Author: BobE

I was near Charleston, WV on Sunday and heard 51 on the scanner at 11:30 a.m. I attempted to beat it to Kenova and apparently failed. If I understand the schedule correctly, it was supposed to have departed Charleston at 8:20 p.m. There's no Saturday train, according to Amtrak.com, so maybe I saw Friday night's train about 40 hours late!!!

BobE

Date: 10/26/00 21:37
Author: RyanAlen

I just checked the arrival status for 51 10/22depart WAS-CHI and it arrived 31 minutes early!! and 51 10/25depart WAS-CHI was 5 minutes early
Way to go CSX!

Thanks for the report Galen, hopefully things will keep improving On average.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0486 seconds