Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX Georgia Road Sub Question

Date: 11/03/00 08:08
CSX Georgia Road Sub Question
Author: kjangel

What style of signals (tri-color, search light, ..) are located on the Georgia Road sub from Augusta GA to Atlanta GA?

Date: 11/03/00 09:09
RE: CSX Georgia Road Sub Question
Author: dneil

I recall searchlights at the W end of the Stone Mtn siding. I also think they had some horizontal tri-lights, too.

dneil

Date: 11/03/00 16:18
Author: SCL1517

The GA sub currently has a mix of signal types. Several searchlights were replaced this past summer by the new "UP style" trilights-e.g. W. end of Conyers siding. Several older type trilights also appeared some years ago, apparently recycled fr. the SAL B'ham line-e.g. intermediate just W. of St. Mtn. D.D. Searchlights for now are most prevalent Atl-Aug, although a T.C. installation was rumored for Atl- Lithonia. Anyone w/ info on this please respond.

Date: 11/03/00 19:19
Author: kjangel

What do you mean by T C?

Date: 11/03/00 19:27
Author: PeachFuzz

TC=Traffic Control

Date: 11/04/00 06:11
Author: flagstop

For as long as I can remember, searchlight signals on fairly short masts were the rule between the yard near Atlanta and Augusta. As a kid I always loved watching the signals while driving paralleling roads in the Decatur, Rutledge, Greensboro, Union Point, Crawfordville, and other areas along the route. Previous posts are correct in stating that some recycled older style (ex SCL) trilights were installed in the Stone Mountain vicinity and possibly elsewhere. I have not seen the UP (Nun) style signal near Conyers, but I had also heard that one or more were in place. I guess that standardization will see the eventual replacement of the venerable searchlights through attrition. I don't know exactly when searchlights were first installed but I think it may have been during a period when both the Georgia Road and the Central of Georgia were controlled by the same party. As I recall, IC controlled the CofG at one time (maybe via SLSF). It is interesting to note that both the CofG and Georgia Road utilized those concrete pillbox type telephone booths. Of course, ACL was a major utilizer of searchlight signals and for years it controlled the Georgia and the West Point Route jointly with L&N. Sorry for digressing and worse yet if I got some of the corporate details muddled.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0371 seconds