Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > GTW N. of Toledo...worth railfanning?

Date: 11/18/00 13:35
GTW N. of Toledo...worth railfanning?
Author: CJ

I have the itch to see some GTW. Is there any good spots north of Toledo that are worth going to and watching trains? Also is there any place in the southern part of Michigan that I could see some GTW? Thanks in advance

Chris
icq 63190150

Date: 11/18/00 20:45
RE: GTW N. of Toledo...worth railfanning?
Author: bt

My suggestion would be Trenton, Mi. I live there, so I'm a bit biased of course. FN interlocker would be the place to be. A manned tower where the GTW Shoreline Sub crosses the GTW River Sub and the NS Detroit Line. My last count was about 26 GTW freights per day and 12 NS, plus several locals. If you want more info either request here or email me. There are a lot of other good spots to hit in the immediate area

Date: 11/19/00 07:16
Author: toledopatch

In the immediate Toledo area GTW railfanning is somewhat more hit-or-miss than it is up toward Trenton. Traffic on the D&TSL is predominantly coal trains and they don't show up on predictable schedules. There are six to eight GTW trains per day via Diann but they, too, can be tough to call and those that run through to/from the NS usually have NS power. It proabably is wisest to stake out the Flat Rock/Trenton area and then chase trains toward Toledo as they show up.

Date: 11/19/00 15:31
Author: gtw5900

If you feel like driving a little (about 1 hour and a half or a liitle longer) then the place to see the most action is Durand, MI. The Holly Sub thru here is almost all GTW power plus the Flint Sub runs the most trains but mostly CN power. I can give you much more details if wanted via email. Look at Wayne's or my posts, they will give you an idea of the action and best times (early morning and late afternoon).

Hope this helps!

Jon Quinley

Date: 11/19/00 20:11
Author: GAP

Is Battle Creek too far? GTW, NS, and 8 Amtraks per day all pass thru the "corridor" that runs directly in front of the Amtrak depot.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.034 seconds