Home Open Account Help 159 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > I&O derailment

Date: 03/01/12 09:52
I&O derailment
Author: EL-SD45-3632

Got news that there is a derailment on the I&O in Lancaster, possible fuel spill and a number of cars on the ground.

Date: 03/01/12 12:10
Re: I&O derailment
Author: scraphauler

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/03/01/lancaster-train-derails.html

In the words of that great philosopher Homer.......J Simpson

DOH!!!

Date: 03/01/12 13:55
Author: scoobydoobydoo

I would of thought if the track was out of order,the train crew would have know this before hand...Scoob

Date: 03/01/12 18:42
Author: wlohmark

Doesn't a derailment mean that wheels actually left the rails? Our reporter
at the scene said everything was still on the rails. And yes, why would the
MOW crew not inform the T&E Crew they were taking the line OOS? The crew
trailer is a mile away.

Date: 03/01/12 20:29
Author: im_trainman

On NS, sometimes in yards, we use a system called inaccessible track, which basically means that we throw switches, and put derails up, to make the track inaccessible to any movements that may come our way. Notice I said yards, where every thing moves at restricted speed, seeing as that is a shortline, probably in dark territory, that same method could apply, train crew goes restricted speed all the time, and are instructed to look out for anything like a derail on the tracks, or bad track, whatever the case may be. On NS, when we use inaccessible track as protection, the only person we have to notify is whoever is in charge of the yard, most of the time the yardmaster will tell crews, but even if they don't, the crew is still expected to stop in time. Restricted speed is 15mph, being able to stop within the half range of vision.

scoobydoobydoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would of thought if the track was out of
> order,the train crew would have know this before
> hand...Scoob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0256 seconds