Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > ??MBTA Fs

Date: 01/21/01 13:18
??MBTA Fs
Author: odub

Funny what one finds when they look throught the old slides. Caught this freshly outshopped MBTA F in Boston in '79. My records inticate that it was a GM&O F3 that MBTA acquired from ICG. How long did these beautifully (;-D) painted units survive in Boston?

Date: 01/21/01 13:40
RE: ??MBTA Fs
Author: nhfl9m

Its amazing to think that units such as that one are still in every day revenue service.... Its been rebuilt and in Metro-North colors, and Im sure its seen better days, but 4 of them still chug along 7 days a week.

Date: 01/21/01 19:08
Author: Kentucky86

They were phased out in the 1990's as more F40 and other locomotives came into service on the MBTA. I believe they were gone by 1995 or so..

I have a webpage about the MBTA, that features the F's in both paint schemes on the MBTA. The scheme in the photo was the common scheme. There was also a marroon and silver version.

Boston MBTA
www.geocities.com/BostonMBTA

Date: 01/22/01 14:21
Author: toledopatch

I believe the final year for "F10PH's" on the MBTA was 1991; as of July of that year there were only four still in service with a few more stored-serviceable.
Four of the T's Fs went to Metro-North; two more were leased to the Cape Cod Railroad through 1997 but I'm not sure of their disposition since then.

Date: 01/22/01 14:46
Author: rails1

their final year was 1992 their last assignment was north side service

Date: 01/23/01 06:13
Author: v1perfan

I asked earlier, but I can't find the post...

What is the purpose of the grates over the windows?

Date: 01/23/01 09:02
Author: c_olson

The grates over the windows are to protect the crew from miscreants who get their entertainment from throwing rocks at locomotives.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0296 seconds