Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Walton KY Action

Date: 05/22/12 11:26
Walton KY Action
Author: Phil

Visited Walton KY on 5-21 and managed to see 8 trains in an hour. Wasn't there too long before the first train arrived. A NB NS train on the Rathole.

Date: 05/22/12 11:30
Re: Walton KY Action

Next up was this WB CSX on the Louisville Sub. The NS and CSX mainlines are about 100 feet apart at this location.

Date: 05/22/12 11:33

The Walton "parade" continues with this SB NS stack train..

Date: 05/22/12 11:40

Here's what makes this spot at Walton special. A CSX westbound arrives and a few seconds later a northbound NS arrives. Luckily I was able to catch both of them.

Date: 05/22/12 11:42
Author: hartrick24

Thanks for sharing. It looks like a tough area to photograph , with a small hill , fence , short distance to see and cloudy.You made the best out of it
with very nice pictures.My guess is CSX is the only class 1, still running GP30's.

Date: 05/22/12 11:46

The last NS train I saw at Walton was this northbound NS with a transformer load.

Date: 05/22/12 11:49

Yeah that C&S storage yard is an obsticle to deal with. And I think the CSX is the only class one operating GP30s and they are road slugs.

hartrick24 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for sharing. It looks like a tough area to
> photograph , with a small hill , fence , short
> distance to see and cloudy.You made the best out
> of it
> with very nice pictures.My guess is CSX is the
> only class 1, still running GP30's.

Date: 05/22/12 11:54

The last train I saw at Walton was this CSX westbound. After it cleared it was time to head for home. Hope you enjoyed the action at Walton as much as I did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/12 11:56 by Phil.

Date: 05/22/12 12:47
Author: jimpress

That transformers looks like the ones that came out of Norfolk VA last Sunday afternoon leaving Norfolk International Terminal Jim

Date: 05/22/12 13:35
Author: P

Great place to watch trains, but difficult to photograph if you want to see both lines. There are many photographic locations nearby, but you have to pick a line and forgo trains on the other line.

Walton is a very busy place. NS flys through this area - CSX a little slower due to topography.

The lines cross with a photogenic truss bridge that I have yet to find a good angle on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/12 13:36 by P.

Date: 05/22/12 14:11
Author: cashfare

Wow, great shots from my home turf. Miss the area a lot. Great railfanning here, and its only 20 miles south of the rail Mecca that is Cincinnati.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.944 seconds