Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Branson MO

Date: 02/02/01 10:08
Branson MO
Author: Freddie

I was in Branson MO several years ago to take in the scenery and the country music scene. There was a single track running through the town with a neat-looking depot. The rail was lightweight but appeared to still be maintained. Is this an operating line? What is its history? Any info would be appreciated... This may be a dumb question but what do you expect? (I'm from California).

Date: 02/02/01 10:41
RE: Branson MO
Author: gladhand

I am not positive, but what you saw might be the Branson Scenic Ry. I haven't a clue as to the history or current owner. Their address isp.o.box 924Branson,Mo. 65616-09241-800-2-train-2 & 1-417-334-610. Hope that helps.

Date: 02/02/01 12:24
Author: rresor

The railroad you saw is former MoPac, then UP, now Missouri & Northern Arkansas, a RailAmerica shortline. They operate from Pleasant Hill, MO to Diaz Junction, AR (junction with St. Louis - Texas former MoPac main). They own about 125 miles of line in AR and lease the rest from UP. They run several freights a day, including empty UP unit coal trains returning from the southeast.

Rail is certainly not light. What I saw last summer was 133# CWR, with some lighter rail in curves. THe line is mostly CWR, and tie condition is good.

There are two passenger train operators on M&NA. The Branson Scenic keeps their train on a siding behind the depot, where they board passengers. They have rights to run north as far as Carthage, MO (they normally go only to Galena, MO when they run north. They prefer to run south, and they operate as far as Bergman, AR. Their equipment includes a dome, a diner, and an ex-ACL tavern/lounge/obs. It's a nice little train. BOth rides, n & s, are about 20 miles. Scenery is nice: the Ozark "mountains" (only mountains if you're from the Midwest, but still pretty). Power is an F7 on one end (for hotel power) and a GP30 on the other. I don't know the history of either one.

At Flippin, AR there is another tourist operator, the White River Scenic. They keep the train at Flippin on a siding, and board at what looks like a former depot but in fact is a newly constructed restaurant (food is not bad). Their equipment includes an open-platform car called the "Chief Keokuk" that's well worth the extra fare they charge, and a couple of coaches. Power is their own GP9.
Their ride is about 50 miles one way, to Calico Rock and back. The line follows the White River, and there is a tunnel and a couple of big bridges.

The Arkansas & Missouri Railroad, not far away, also operates passenger service, so Arkansas may be worth a trip.

Date: 02/02/01 12:36
Author: Freddie

Thanks. I was there in '90 or '91 so I guess it would have been UP. I enjoyed the area and with the info you provided may plan another trip.

Date: 02/02/01 17:28
Update (and MNA image)
Author: kushtaka

As CTC Board magazine reported in the January issue, White River Scenic stopped operations in November, 2000 due to lack of revenue and rising costs.

MNA looks to be doing OK from trackside, though. (Photo December 2001)

Date: 02/02/01 17:32
RE: Update (and MNA image)
Author: kushtaka

That should be Photo December 2000.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0556 seconds