Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > What is 3 point protection?

Date: 02/08/01 10:54
What is 3 point protection?
Author: jmandym

I enjoy watching the action at Radnor Yards in Nashville. I frequently hear the term "three point protection" over the scanner. What does this term mean?

Date: 02/08/01 11:52
RE: What is 3 point protection?
Author: lew

Set the automatic brake valve and indenpendent brake, center the reverser handle, and drop the generator field switch to the off position, thereby preventing any unexpected movement of the train or engine.

Date: 02/08/01 15:57
Author: clinchfield3000

lew wrote:
>
> Set the automatic brake valve and indenpendent brake,
> center the reverser handle, and drop the generator field switch
> to the off position, thereby preventing any unexpected movement
> of the train or engine.

Also called T-19 on CSX.

Michael Ridenhour

Date: 02/08/01 19:23
Author: KNTower

And now 3-point is being used on NS ... we've been hearing it all day starting today here on the Piedmont Division.

KN Tower

Date: 02/08/01 21:58
Author: clinchfield3000

In order for any part of your body to invaid the space between two cars you must obtain a T-19(CSX) or 3-point protection. After you are through doing what ever you were doing you must release your T-19 or 3-point protection. You also must obtain a T-19 or 3-point protection if you are putting on an EOT on the rear or if you are doing something to the front of the Engine. All of this of course only applies when there is an occupied Locomotive coupled to the cars you are working on.

Michael Ridenhour
WSSB Brakeman

Date: 02/09/01 05:55
Author: fdifalco

"Three point protection"

Correct name is Three Step Protection. This was apparently begun with Conrail and has been inherited by CSX. It formalizes the process that engineers have used for years to secure engines and their attached trains (cars) while employees foul said equipment to connect air hoses, align couplers, etc.

The rule can be found in the Safe Job Procedures section (rule 19) of CSX's Safe Way and Safe Job Procedures book. It states that the engineer must place the:

1. Independent brake in the FULL APPLICATION position; and, if necessary, make a brake pipe reduction sufficient to hold the equipment.
2. Reverse lever in the CENTER position.
3. Generator field switch in the OFF position.

Frank DiFalco

Date: 02/09/01 16:05
3 point vs. 3 step
Author: golfer

The confusion in terms comes about because railroads require 3 POINT contact whenever you are on equipment, i.e. three of your four limbs (hands, feet) must remain in firm contact with the equipment, while the fourth, e.g., free hand, may be used to perform a task such as apply/release a hand brake, signal, etc. (Maybe thats why it's not called a "handS" brake)

The protection required before fouling equipment is called 3 STEP protection for the reasons already discussed.

Date: 02/09/01 19:58
RE: 3 point protection
Author: railrider

I was on Amtrak 91 today and overheard a reference to "three point protection" on my scanner when they dropped the two road railers off the back end at the station in Jax. I too was wondering what this meant - now I know. I believe the word "point" was uesd but it's been a long day and they might have said "step". Thanks

Date: 03/21/19 04:59
Re: RE: 3 point protection
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Years ago it would most likely have been referred to as 'three step protection' as intended because the employees were consistant. Some of the younger ones today don't see the importance of 'saying it right' so often slop comes out. Their reply to most things today is "It don't make any difference." and they don't care.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/19 05:16 by dcfbalcoS1.

Date: 03/21/19 07:19
Author: BRAtkinson

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>       Years ago it would most likely have been
> referred to as 'three step protection' as intended
> because the employees were consistant. Some of the
> younger ones today don't see the importance of
> 'saying it right' so often slop comes out. Their
> reply to most things today is "It don't make any
> difference." and they don't care.

Didn't EHH cancel the use of 3-step protection and the use of brake sticks to speed up switching at the cost of safety?  Perhaps he was counting on faster switching to justify wiping out hump yards.

Date: 03/21/19 18:32
Author: Milw_E70

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>       Years ago it would most likely have been
> referred to as 'three step protection' as intended
> because the employees were consistant. Some of the
> younger ones today don't see the importance of
> 'saying it right' so often slop comes out. Their
> reply to most things today is "It don't make any
> difference." and they don't care.

You really dug up an 18 year old thread to tell us this???

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds