Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > rush hour Chicago Ridge . .

Date: 06/04/12 18:09
rush hour Chicago Ridge . .
Author: 3rdswitch

. . on this last evening of my trip to Chicago and points east I sought out some IHB at Chicago Ridge where IHB's belt route around Chicago crosses METRA's exWabash Southwest Line. After UP, BNSF and CSX lead trains passed without an IHB in sight I settled for a trio of Metra westbound commutes at locations that speak for themselves. Oh well maybe next trip. Back to Colorado tomorrow. It was a great trip.
JB

Date: 06/04/12 22:44
Re: rush hour Chicago Ridge . .
Author: aussiehinz

Should'a come by "MH" Tower, JB!

Date: 06/05/12 01:20
Author: ATSF100WEST

Thanks for the shot of my old home town. Hard to believe that Wabash only ran one commuter train a day each way, M-F only. Wonder if they finally tore the old depot down at Oak Lawn? It was a Metra M-O-W facility in '08, and full of asbestos (transite siding and 9" square Abestos Composition Floor Tiles).

Nice images.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 06/05/12 13:29
Author: ghemr

The station you are referring to still stands! It is located off 95th at Cook Ave. Yes, it's used by Metra for MofW use and is painted a peach color. The lower half of the structure is concrete---the upper is cinder block. I seem to recall that there was siding on the upper half at one time----can't remember for sure... The lumber yard (Beatty Lumber) across the tracks is no longer in business in Oak Lawn...

Date: 06/06/12 06:36
Author: mdolot1

I ride this Metra line frequently and always think of 1954 when my dad and I rode the Blue Bird south and turned right around to ride the Midnight home. It was one of my earliest train rides. I was so excited, and my mom and sister were trackside at 159th Street to wave.

Date: 06/06/12 15:54
Author: mcdeo

Wow, I was in Chicago area last week and now back in CO. Small world. I was hoping to see some 'Winnebagos' but got the rest. Good variety and it was nice seeing F40PH's in action again.

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0549 seconds