Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Signal lights, part I

Date: 06/15/12 19:23
Signal lights, part I
Author: pdxfan

In mid-May, this Westerner made a loop trip through southern Michigan, northern Ohio and northern Indiana. Normally, signals are signals and I don't photograph them. But in Union Pacific and BNSF territories, nearly all the signals have been replaced in the past several years. So on this eastern trip, I decided to shot any signal I could that didn't look like the new ones going up in the West. I do not pretend this is anything of a representative sample, but if someone can give me some historical background, I would certainly appreciate the information. I will try to ID the geographical area.

The first photo is in Kalamazoo, Mich. The second photo is in Fostoria, Ohio. The third photo is in Deshler, Ohio on the north-south main.

I have two more I'll include in another posting.

Date: 06/15/12 19:31
Re: Signal lights, part I
Author: toledopatch

The first picture is an example of a New York Central-style small target searchlight signal and a searchlight dwarf, although based on the absence of a finial and the modern concrete base I'd say the high-mast signal was installed by Conrail.

The second picture is a supplemental grade-crossing warning light that has a single flashing light and "No Left Turn" and "No Right Turn" light-up signs.

The third is a Baltimore & Ohio-style color position light signal.

Date: 06/15/12 19:31
Signal lights, part 2
Author: pdxfan

See part I for explanation of why I'm posting these shots.

The first photo in this section is from Elkhart, Ind. The second photo in this section is from Hoosier Valley Railroad Musem in North Judson, Ind.

Date: 06/15/12 20:02
Re: Signal lights, part 2
Author: sou2601

The 1st picture is a US&S Tri-light style signal, probably installed by Conrail - maybe NYC.

The 2nd picture shows some preserved NKP style color light signals.

-Eric

Date: 06/15/12 20:12
Re: Signal lights, part 2
Author: toledopatch

sou2601 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 1st picture is a US&S Tri-light style signal,
> probably installed by Conrail - maybe NYC.
>
> The 2nd picture shows some preserved NKP style
> color light signals.

I suspect the US&S Tri-light to be a Conrail installation -- the sun shades look more modern than NYC vintage.
The 2d picture in Part 2 also appears to include an ex-Erie Lackawanna three-headed searchlight signal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/12 20:13 by toledopatch.

Date: 06/16/12 04:21
Author: CGTower

You would be at "BO" Tower in K-Zoo....if you follow the link below to Flick you'll find a shot of a Grand Elk train running on signal indication into their yard.

http://flic.kr/p/bsKrNh

NYC/CR searchlight are of GRS (General Railway Signal) design and were somewhat unique with the 20" target. I am in the process of restoring a set of these signals. Fun stuff...

CG Tower

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first picture is an example of a New York
> Central-style small target searchlight signal and
> a searchlight dwarf, although based on the absence
> of a finial and the modern concrete base I'd say
> the high-mast signal was installed by Conrail.

Date: 06/16/12 04:33
Author: CGTower

The B&O color position light signal (cpl) was developed in the 1920's by B&O signal engineer F.P. Patenell. The cpl signal was an answer to the trend of moving away from semaphores and a variation (many say improvement) over the Pennsy position light signal. Using color and position, the cpl signal also used top and bottom marker lights to display various components of speed.

While now not standard, the cpl's around Deshler have somehow survived the en masse signal upgrades of recent, however, the slow march of progress will eventually catch up to Deshler and other areas.

Incidentally, there was a discussion that cpl signals are not compatible with Positive Train Control, that is largely false, PTC has nothing to do with the style of signal that coveys the message, just the electronics that get the message delivered. However, I believe certain rules require a standardization of signal aspects, so that may be where this rumor is coming from.

CG Tower

toledopatch Wrote:

>
> The third is a Baltimore & Ohio-style color
> position light signal.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1733 seconds