Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > what subdivision has the most traffic?

Date: 02/18/01 04:36
what subdivision has the most traffic?
Author: davef

Just curious, anybody know or have an opinion of what subdivision of any railroad (eastern or western)has the most traffic. To my experience the two contenders would be the ex Conrail's Pittsburgh line and the water level route around Erie PA.

Date: 02/18/01 05:51
RE: what subdivision has the most traffic?
Author: Coded_track

Hands down, the UP Kearney Sub.. also known as the "Triple Track"
which generally runs from 120, to 160 trains per 24 hours.

It runs from North Platte, Mp 284 to Grand Island, Mp 145, although the triple track portion ends at Gibbon Jct, Mp 175.

The line has approximately 108 miles of 3 main tracks, with 40 mph crossovers between mains, and a couple of 60 mph crossovers.

Most traffic is Loaded/Mty coal trains, but also line sees a lot of "z" or intermodal trains as well.

That's my opinion.. Coded_track

Date: 02/18/01 07:07
Author: BCM

Currently the US railroad division/subdivision with the most traffic is quite a simple question:

UP Nebraska Division west of Gibbon Junction (i.e. between Gibbon and North Platte).

It averages 130+ trains every 24 hours...

A heavy day on either of the ex-Conrail east-west mains (water level route or Middle Division) might be 80-90 trains...

- BCM

Date: 02/18/01 08:02
Author: toledopatch

The above responses would only apply to freight trains. I'd suspect the Northeast Corridor between New York and Rahway, NJ is the overall winner for sheer numbers of trains.

Date: 02/18/01 16:30
Author: ddavies

For a comparison, in December my wife and I went to see my son in Germany (and railfan of course). At the Cologne station, 46 trains passed through between 10AM and 11AM ... now THAT is a lot of trains. These included TGV, ICE, regional and local (just passenger).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0382 seconds