Home Open Account Help 149 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Need Paducah & Louisville information

Date: 02/22/01 21:22
Need Paducah & Louisville information
Author: FIREMAN424

I am planning a trip to the PAL soon and were wondering if anyone knows of the locals and mainline runs that ply the rails everyday?
The whole system will be covered, I also need info on the Midwest Coal Handling operations from the Drakesboro area. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance,
Randy Allard

Date: 02/22/01 23:53
RE: Need Paducah & Louisville information
Author: AK

Hi there,

Get a hold of someone in their shops and find the status of the 6 ex-Alaska Railroad GPs.

R.K.

Date: 02/23/01 04:05
Author: galen74

Here is the P&L Company website:

http://www.palrr.com/

Galen Wright
Lynchburg, VA

Date: 02/23/01 14:54
Paducah & Louisville locomotive information
Author: railwayman69

I was wondering, does anybody know what this railroad has for locmotives currently operating on its railroad. I remember reading in Trains magazine years ago that they had some GP10's, GP30's, GP35's, and some SW type switchers, etc. I checked out the companies home page and there wasn't a roster listed there.

Date: 02/24/01 03:16
RE: Paducah & Louisville locomotive informatio
Author: redneckrailfan

The former Alaska RR GP35's and GP40-2's are at VMV for the Mother-Slug set rebuild program. The first of the units may have entered the shops now for rebuilding, but it will still be a while before the first set is released.
As for current power, its pretty standard. The roster is almost exclusively made up of GP8's and GP10's of IC heritage. All of the switchers, GP30's and GP35's are retired and gone. There are 5 other interesting units though. They are:

GP10 #1798- painted blue and white for the University of Kentucky
"GP36" #3600- a GP35 rebuilt as a GP38 by VMV
GP11 #8352- the very first GP11 built
GP8 #8602- has Operation Lifesaver logos on hood
GP39 #8507- formerly Atlanta & St. Andrews Bay #507. One of only 23 GP39's built.

Bryan Jones

Date: 02/25/01 23:00
Author: mobileunit

the pal runs one freight each way. the westbound leaves louisville around 10 pm each night. the eastbound about the same time out of paducah. a local runs from louisville to cecilia and turns back to louisville. usually departs louisville around midnight and returns just before hours of service gets him. he has to make connection with our transfer by early afternoon. dana flats, very,very hot frame cars. coal trains are a little hard to predict. usually empties around 4 pm and loads get to louisville, kosmosdale; arouund 11:00pm. mostly a night railroad around louisille. engines on coal trains are light from lge on in or vice versa

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.039 seconds