Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Train speed limits?

Date: 02/24/01 05:45
Train speed limits?
Author: richs

To those on this board who's stock in trade is railroading, and to those fans that know so much more that me, I'll preface my questions/comment with an apology if following is too basic:
After reading the posts about the accident south of Dayton, I thought
this time appropriate to inquire about the maximum speed allowed through Berea, OH at or near the Front Street crossings. It has been my observation that, regardless of direction, the CSX runs through much faster than does NS. With the close proximity of both mainlines, it's relatively easy to compare over any given hour or two. I have rationalized it as a result of a more radical change in direction of the NS East to West (or West to East) as opposed to the more subtle
curvature of the CSX line. It just seems the CSX "flies" through the 2 crossings (Front and Bagley). What are the speed limits through there? How are they enforced? Thanks. -Rich S.

Date: 02/24/01 07:43
RE: Train speed limits?
Author: eriee

The trains speed is set by the railroad from factors which it has gathered to include laws passed by the city through ordances. These factors are Safety First,track situations and conditons.The Railroads would like to run thru there at 65 mph but its just not Safe owing to the location and track situations. Crossovers and yard limits might be more of a factor with NS than CSX.

Date: 02/24/01 19:56
Author: powerbraker1

My understanding is that cities can no longer set train speed limits via ordinance. At least that is what the UP told us when they raised the speed limits to maximum speed through all the little towns we run through between Houston and New Orleans. I used to have to brake to 20 mph through Beaumont, DeQuincy, Kinder, Eunice, and Opelousas, and 30 through Elder and Basile. About 1988 the UP removed the speed restrictions. The word we got is that the supreme court overrulled train speed ordinances. That is what we were told anyway. For whatever reason, it took an hour off a 233 mile trip.

Date: 02/24/01 21:05
Author: csxmac

Hey,

Not in Ohio, but here in Tampa, on the A-line through Dover etc the speed limit is 70 and there are several crossings in the area...

Troy

Date: 02/26/01 00:13
Author: yardslug

richs,
Here is part of the answer you are looking for. On the section of track you are talking about for the CSX line, it is 60mph for TV trains, 50mph for general freight and 40mph for mineral trains on track 2. On track 1 it is 40mph for all trains.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0335 seconds