Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Industrial Locos....

Date: 03/07/01 07:20
Industrial Locos....
Author: IU_Tower

I forgot to add this to my earlier thread. I saw three unknown industrial locomotives yesterday, but only managed to get pics of two. In Linden IN at the Cargill elevator, there is a white center cab switcher, In Manchester(?), there was a smaller center cab switcher with Ferdinand RR #101 in the side, and in Pittsboro IN I saw either a GP7 or GP9 switching the Qualitech Steel Mill.
Does anyone have any info on these units?

Date: 03/07/01 10:06
RE: Industrial Locos....
Author: skunk

The Ferdinand engine is a side rod 44 toner isn't it? This may have come from the little shortline in Southern Indiana, if it still exists.

Date: 03/07/01 10:12
"Betty Sue"
Author: DRLOCO

THe FERD 101 (the Betty Sue) is not a siderod, but it is a little 44 tonner GE. It was acquired by the Cherry Grove Co-op. a few years back...and IU--you're close--Manchester is where the dragging equipment detector is just before the 231/I-74 exchange. After passing that little engine almost every day for a year on the Q598 and Q642/Q643, I sometimes see it when I'm sleeping, and it makes me itch late at night!~~DRLOCO

Date: 03/07/01 11:10
RE: "Betty Sue"
Author: IU_Tower

Hey Doc, if that loco is the "Betty Sue", then I have a B&W picture of it operating with the Louisville, New Albany & Corydon in my Trainwatchers Guide. That engine has really gotten around since its "birth".
Since you were on the Q598, maybe you could answer a question for me. Why all the different signals on the old Monon? I saw semaphores, targets, and C&O style lights. At Ames, there is even some old L&N signals. Has CSX forgotten about this mix? It seems they are resignaling all over the system, but not here.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0322 seconds