Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Rail America Strategy?

Date: 03/12/01 05:05
Rail America Strategy?
Author: ExceptedTRAK

(Select Quotes) Rail America Gains steam with one-track strategy.
"I think you will see us (RA) back in the market on the acquisition side starting to grow the company again."
Timing right?-- "Norfolk Southern Corp. recently said it plans to divest itself of 3000-4000 miles in the southwest,midwest and northeast." "Another purchase prospect is the Bangor & Aroostock railway, closely held by Iron Road." Interestingly enough, the article closes out by indicating the possibility of a purchase of Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway Corp. As reported Rail America approached this railroad about being acquired and their CEO Larry Parsons said :not while I'm alive." Perhaps Mr. Parsons knows real facts as compaired to sometimes puff (not pulp) fiction which has been known to appear in newspapers.

Date: 03/12/01 06:19
RE: Rail America Strategy?
Author: TRKneller

ExceptedTRAK wrote:
>
> From: Wall Street Journal 2/20/01
> (Select Quotes) "Norfolk Southern Corp. recently said it plans
> to divest itself of 3000-4000 miles in the southwest,midwest
> and northeast."

I wonder, does anyone know what lines NS plans to divest itself of?
Particularly interested in midwest mileage.

Date: 03/12/01 08:54
RE: Rail America Strategy?
Author: rresor

All that has been publicized so far is "mostly in the Southeast, and some trackage in former Conrail territory".

Date: 03/12/01 10:11
Norfolk Southern/Argentina
Author: ExceptedTRAK

This article made mention of both Norfolk Southern Corp. divesture of lines and operations in Argentina. Only question which remains now is if the Norfolk Southern abandonments is a "done deal" or merely fodder for more strategic planning or whatever they call it now.
Argentina certainly sounds interesting, again on how it might fit into the overall plan for Rail America.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.026 seconds