Home Open Account Help 243 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Famous railroads and their photographers

Date: 04/03/01 16:24
Famous railroads and their photographers
Author: roadrat

Whether it be by books, paintings or photography...In our hobby there are a few certain names of individuals who, when you mention the railroad,their name is not far behind...Example: N&W---O.Winston Link....PRR---Don Wood.....Why did these men dedicate themselves to the photography of these railroads?...Does this dedication exsist today? And if so, what railroad, and who is the individual?...Another man comes to mind, though he did not dedicate himself to a railroad, he chose a builder, but if you did have to choose a railroad, was it the NYC?... Howard Fogg and ALCO....Roadrat

Date: 04/03/01 17:05
RE: Famous railroads and their photographers
Author: cn6218

Nicholas Morant was the CPR's official photographer for decades, and has a location on the railway named after him (unofficially): Morant's Curve. I see John Corns' credit on a lot of CSX photos. I think he was once their official photographer.

Date: 04/03/01 18:01
Author: albowen

I think Geography played a major role a generation ago. Some of the major players in this league back then stayed reasonably close to home...or at least in the region.
Herb Sullivan's work in Cajon comes to mind, in addition to the one's mentioned in the previous post.
As travel to more exotic areas became easier, the photographer's began to range far and wide. Some prefer "Western" or "Mountain" roads, Others look for the "Eastern" or even "Urban" settings. As long as they keep shooting... that's what is important.
I really enjoy trying to shoot a photo that matches one I have seen done by a skilled photographer.

Date: 04/03/01 19:08
RE: Nowak and NYC
Author: Lackawanna484

Ed Nowak, longtime photographer of the New York Central.

Bunnell and the DL&W's east end. I believe both men were official photographers back when "valuation photographs" were needed for tax appeals and roadway records.

Date: 04/03/01 20:22
NKP
Author: scapegoat

Willis mcaleb (sorry about the spelling) His pictures of the NKP and even the Lake Shore Electric in there final years

Date: 04/03/01 21:06
RE: Railrod Photographers
Author: C_ville

Western Maryland had an "Official" photographer assigned to take pictures. Sorry, I don't remember the name but he wrote several books
of WM diesels.

Date: 04/03/01 21:39
Author: crazy_nip

I dont know if he was official, but Warren Calloway is an excellent photographer and wrote a few books bout the SAL and ACL...

Date: 04/04/01 07:27
Author: roughrider

Nixon and the NP!

Date: 04/04/01 12:12
Author: aces

The following were all photographers of the B&O. I don't know if any of them were " Official " B&O photographers or not, but each did outstanding work. Charles S. Roberts, Howard N. Barr, Herbert H. Harwood,Jr., E.L. "Tommy" Thompson, Bob Lorenz. I have collections of each of these mens' work, thank goodness, and am always impressed by their skill and knowledge.

Ace S.

Date: 04/04/01 14:39
Author: run8

Going back many years, there was Matthew Brady, who photographed the Civil War from his rolling railcar photo lab on behalf of the US army. Andrew Russell, who worked for Brady, was later commissioned by the Union Pacific to photograph its construction. Silvas also photographed the UP after construction.

Also count William Notman, who documented the CPR, and Frank Haynes who covered the NP and parts of the CP. And we can't forget Otto Perry and Robert Richardson who documented Colorado narrow gauge.

There's even a web site devoted to railroad photography:

<http://www.railphoto-art.org/index.html >

Date: 07/06/12 09:13
Re: RE: Famous railroads and their photographers
Author: alamedafrank

Lucius Beebe and Charles Clegg whose books began pre-war and established the "popular", non fan, concept of the railroad picture book.

Date: 07/06/12 09:41
Author: Lackawanna484

alamedafrank Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lucius Beebe and Charles Clegg whose books began
> pre-war and established the "popular", non fan,
> concept of the railroad picture book.

Thanks for reviving this 11 year old thread!

Date: 07/06/12 17:21
Author: photobob

Dick Stienhiemer the greatest of them all who covered a great many railroads.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds